Re: Toyotas & Honda ETC.

Can't be BS - even Consumer Reports note they have problems. "Reliabilty has dropped for some models." p15 April 2010 issue If you dig further in the issue (pgs 40-41), the specific models with problems are:

BMW 1 series BMW 5 series BMW X3 BMW X5

All are below average or well below average according to them. Not acceptable for a #1.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Gee

Sorry, I don't. They seem to be the equivalent of Consumer Reports here in the US, but I wasn't able to quickly locate any methodology info on the net.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Gee

Neither of those contain advertising. Power gives away the general results and sells deep dive info to the manufacturers. CR buys their cars at retail for reviews and relies on reader surveys for the reliability data.

Derek Gee

In message , Derek Gee writes

Not here, they don't. They team up with other CR magazines in Europe and do their own tests. Puts JD Power in the shade.

Reply to
Clive

why would merc be above ford?

Reply to
Picasso

The same reason Lexus is rated higher than Toyota. ;)

why would merc be above ford?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

"Picasso" wrote

People pay more for the Mercury so they think it is a better car and report accordingly. Note that Lincoln is even higher.

If you look at the Zephyr, Milan, and Fusion, they all share a lot of components, including the people and machines that assemble them. I don't doubt the statistics as gathered by CR or J D Powers, but I do doubt the honesty of the people sending back those questionnaires. Sending back a poor report is saying "I made a poor choice in my selection of automobile"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I guess you must also believe that is why buyers think Toyotas are better, because they paid 20% to 30% MORE to drive home their Toyota than a domestic of the same size with similar equipment? ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Why does anyone do the things they do? Needs and wants, ego, greed, envy, Maslow's hierarchy of needs? I'm happy staying at the lower two levels, it's a lot of work to get to the top.

FatterDumber& Happier Moe