Re: Toyotas & Honda ETC

While what you say is true, I believe he was referring to vehicles within the SAME price range, not all vehicles. After all the most common reason
one picks a particular vehicle is what it costs.

You may be right, as that would explain the high volume of dodge neons and chevy cavaliers on the road, but what brought you to make this statement? I haven't seen any proof of that other than the volume of a certain car on the road, which could be just good marketing.
One of my several jobs in the automobile business in my time was Group Sales Manager, for one of the largest mega-dealerships groups on the east cost. We operated 26 multi-franchised stores in six eastern states. We sold hundreds of thousands of vehicles from just about every manufacturer.
I can assure you the most asked LAST question we would hear from a buyer before they signed on the dotted line was, "How much is my monthly payment?," or "What amount do I need to write on my check?
That is one reason Toyota sells more four door Camrys than Lexus LS four doors cars. If a buyer can afford a Lincoln they are not likely to buy a Ford, unless it is something like a Mustang. Even then is likely a second or even third vehicle. ;)
wrote:

You may be right, as that would explain the high volume of dodge neons and chevy cavaliers on the road, but what brought you to make this statement? I haven't seen any proof of that other than the volume of a certain car on the road, which could be just good marketing.
My answer was thorough and flexible enough to address that - IOW, I don't think I ignored that aspect of what he may have intended as you imply. For example, I said:
"...In that respect, the nominal manufacturer can choose the quality level of every component based on their own formula of vehicle price point, long-term public perception of their brand, etc., etc., etc."
That covers cars within a given "class", range, or whatever you want to call it, as well as over all classes/ranges/whatever.
I mean, you have to admit that "etc., etc., etc." is pretty damn broad!! :)
--
Bill Putney