Re: U.S. - OWNED GENERAL MOTORS RECALLS 243,000 SUVs! American QUALITY At Work!

jr92 wrote:

It seems that most of the posters of these types of articles are not doing it as a public service to alert readers of the possible dangers that the recalls address, but just more of the anti-American sentiment that they have against almost anything American.Of course, there are the number of <insert foreign car name here> owners that seem to think that all American cars are junk, and the one they own made in <insert foreign country here> is the next best thing to sliced bread.
I've owned many vehicles since my 1955 Chevy in 1963, and I have found that if a car is well maintained, it will last a good long time. Some have inherent problems (the Chevy rusted over the headlights terribly), and some don't, but I've never owned a vehicle that caught fire by itself, ran off the road on its own, or failed to stop because of a component failure. I'm not saying it doesn't happen; it's just never happened to me, and some of the vehicles I've owned had safety recalls that I had taken care of sooner or later. I feel it's not a case of "You get what you pay for" as much as "You keep what you take care of." I've owned a couple of foreign cars in all the time I've been driving, and have found them to be no better or worse than the American cars I've owned. My mother (88 and still driving :-o ) has owned Honda's since the '70's and swears by them, even with the problems (some minor, some not so minor) she's experienced with them. Now THAT'S loyalty.
As far as giving the seat belt a tug, peope today depend on the idiot lights in the dash way too much. Most of them wouldn't know what an oil pressure gauge or ammeter was if it bit them :-)
Of course, these are just my opinions, and everyone has the right to disagree if they want. That's their right as an American; that's what our military personnel fought and died for! -- SC Tom

Yes, everyone has the right to complain.. Every damn GM that I owned since the 70's has been a POS. I want them to improve and prosper, but they cant do it if they make what people dont want, and if they make crap.
Just because you buy Honda or Toyota doesnt mean you are anti American.
It means, in my mind, that you are tired of buying Big 3 crap, and are looking for relief. Maybe you dont get it, and maybe you do.
Honda and Toyota have put a LOT of money into American jobs. GM had proven itself to be on the wrong business model, and Ford had gotten kudos for the job it has done.
Buy what you want. If GM goes bankrupt again, then so be it. They are supposedly the biggest and best car company in the world, then show it. If they cant walk the walk, then they deserve to go the way of the Packard, Studebaker, and AMC.
You are confused apparently more buyers in the US want what GM has to offer than any other manufacture domestic or foreign. GM is number one in sales, year to date, in the US.
By the way if every GM vehicle you bought from GM was a POS, why did you keep buy vehicles made by GM? ;)
wrote in message news:dM9bo.8467

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix says...

Bullshit you want "them to improve and prosper." At least twice I've seen you call the Volt, a car not even yet available, a POS. Obvious you want it to fail. Just admit you want GM to fail, and quit lying. Bitching is fine. You're a crybaby. Don't try to act all "fair and balanced." That never fits crybabies. It's ok to want GM to fail. Really. Everybody will be in happy-happy land driving Toyotas. Now wipe your eyes and blow your nose.
wrote in message news:dM9bo.8467

I dont want them to fail. They are on their on.
The Volt is likely to be a POS, another failure.

I think the Volt sounds interesting.
I would think it to be a step in the right direction.
I do however have concerns with the price quoted.
I also do not really understand why they made a new hybrid at this time.
I do hope the Volt will be successful and that they will learn from this car and make a change in peoples minds about the use of electrics.
It would be interesting to know the true cost of making the Volt and to know if they are making profit on it.
As far as I can understand they already have a number of orders on the Volt.
Once GM decides to go all electric and come out with a quality car they might have a chance of making profit but I seriously doubt they will ever be profitable enough to pay for past mistakes.
On 8/19/2010 11:03 PM, Bjorn wrote:

The real problem with a Volt is economics. No way around it either. Thus relegating it to a fad vehicle.
I figure electric will take off when they get better and cheaper batteries, and the vehicle is 100% electric for a 100+ mile range on 5 year old batteries. That might be a few years off and likely Chinese or Japanese will get them first.
There is also something I don't think any part of this industry has thought about either, the nefarious uses of 400 pounds of lithium.
--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

A few milligrams per day might help the likes of some of the neurotic GM cheerleaders on this group.
On 8/20/2010 7:58 AM, hls wrote:

They are going to need it, the double dip has begun. Going to be a cold winter for GM.
From 1929 peek to recovery took until 1955... but the worst dip was the second dip in 1932.....2008 + 3 = 2011 but I think it might be early as in this fall/winter. Government wants to dump GM as it can't afford a second massive bailout for GM and the billionaires bailout is over.
When GM IPOs, they will probably rise a bit then tank.
That is my realist view. Lets check back with in the spring.
--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

wrote in message news:W5wbo.9492

So you are saying that those of us who want to see a us company succeed are neurotic don't you think that's a little self serving, arnt you the one who has been posting the same thing over and over again for a year and a half maybe you need a new thought for awhile. YOur countrys newspaper thinks the bailout was a good idea.
wrote in message news:W5wbo.9492

I wrote the comment about the lithium, not Canuck, and if the shoe fits, wear it.

Have you committed to buy one, Bob? Put down a deposit yet?