Re: VW's greatest fear isn't Toyota, it's Hyundai

I've had four VW's, two Beetles, a Transporter (1 ton panel van) panel van and a Polo. The were generally reliable, apart from the second Beetle that continually seized, despite several returns to the shop. Eventually I stripped the engine down, had both the crankshaft and camshaft bearings skimmed, fitted new shells throughout and never had another problem. In my case I was being fleeced by the shop, but I agree with you, reputation is all. Lancia beta's used to be imported here until they started falling apart with rust in under two years. Their reputation was shot and the makers "Fiat" had to pull the brand from the UK, it has never been re-introduced.
--
Clive