Re: What are normal hi and lo side A/C press. for my van?

Jim Caldwell opined in news:be0ub8$1e4$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-153828.news.dfncis.de:

My 95 3.8 liter Windstar is not cooling as good as it used to. At idle, > very hot weather, on max cold, the air outlet temp is 50 deg F.

It aint gonna go much below that or the evap will freeze

It was abt 30 psi >

A little low

.........if I put more R-134 in, and > raise it up to 45, what should the hi side be? (what would be a max safe > pressure,or that would indicate a problem/restriction?) This guy revs > the engine up while checking the pressures, as this makes the lo side go > down, so consequently he puts in more R-134. > Would like a second opinion on this, as I don't want to take a > chance > on over-servicing it.

Well I dont do that... I just run the sucker on max full blower and make sure the low switch doesnt cycle.

But maybe you should ask on:

Backyard Mechanic

There are no "normal" pressures, especially in a vehicle. They are determined by outside air temp and engine RPM, to name a couple. The system should be checked with the RPM's at about 2500- that's considered average cruising RPM. If you can get 50 deg. air coming out of the dash vents at that RPM, the problem is not in the charge, but more likely an air flow issue. I used to check the cars I worked on with the fan on medium and the fresh air vent open. At those settings and at 2500 RPM, the frost line would get to about 18-24 inches from the compressor (depending on the car). Tom F.

Reply to
Tom F.