Re: Why aren't foreign cars as good as American cars?

You certainly are entitled to you opinion but most Americans disagree with you. American buy more domestic vehicles from GM and Ford than ALL of the foreign owned brands combined, including German owned Chrysler.

mike hunt

Liam Devl>

Nevell Lewis wrote: > > You got it backwards, why aren't american cars as good as foreign cars? > > Just got bad news today my GM car needs a new tranny, 60,000 miles. Unheard > > of. I have a 1975 Toyota Corolla Station wagon, the body is rotted out, but > > that thing has 284,000 miles, original transmission. Now why would I buy > > american? I'd love to for jobs, but I have to think of long term quality. > > The competition in the marketplace is supposed to lead Detroit to > building better cars, which would increase their sales, thus increasing > their profits (on paper, anyway). I'd be happy to buy American (very > happy, actually), if they were selling what I wanted to buy.
Reply to
MikeHunt2

Cars built in the US by domestic manufactures employ American workers as well. The BIG difference is American corporation pay federal cooperate income taxes and Japanese manufactures merely assembling cars in the US, do not. In addition domestic cars cost a lot less than similar size and equipped Japanese cars even though the Japanese pay their workers less in the US and give them fewer benefits.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mayor2

That may be true, but when its my money, my hard earned dollars, I want some value, I want something that is going to run well, be enjoyable to drive, and not fall apart....thats why I go HONDA. I have two Accords, and in 6 years, I have had nothing other than routine maintenance with my 97. I am due for brakes and timing belt...but nothing breaks on the car....NOTHING. The engines are awesome. OH...I did have a motor mount go earlier this year....

My USA cars, were just awful...always something, rattling squeaking. Just awful. Never again.

Reply to
Firebird

My one son has a 2000 Accord that has a leaky tranny and multiple brake problems and his wife's Sable, company car, has had none. The Sable has 10K more on the clock, so what your point?

mike hunt

Firebird wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

My USA cars are great!

1991 175k one alternator, one set of tires + brakes, muffler and oil changes 1992 180k one starter, one alternator, two sets of tires + brakes, muffler hanger ( muffler is still factory ) and oil changes

Speaking of hard earned dollars and by looking at the big picture guess who gets to pay higher taxes and higher medical payments. The more good paying jobs lost the more someone else picks up the tab. The government IS going to get there cut whether it comes from 100 people or 10 people. The people that have health insurance will be paying extra for the people that don't.

So buying Foreign might not be that good of a value. Save a dollar and pay

10 later.

Reply to
Camaro

money to ship the cars to America. If they were >made in America, they would cost just as much or even less than >the average American car.

You have not price a foreign car lately have you? Both Toyota and Honda assemble vehicles in the US but they cost 25 to 30% MORE to drive home than their similar size and equipped domestics competitors.

mike hunt

Reply to
BigJohnson

money to ship the cars to America. If they were >made in America, they would cost just as much or even less than >the average American car.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

More foreign car myths, in three years a Camry or Accord is indeed worth about $4,000 more than a Taurus, but the drive home price of the Taurus is at least $8,000 LESS. As a percentage of the drive home price the Taurus is worth much more than either in three or four years, the average time in which new car buyers trade for another new car in the US.

mike hunt

of money to ship the cars to America. If they were >made in America, they would cost just as much or even less than >the average American car.

Reply to
MajorDomo

What exactly is a drive home price?

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

They must have a fire sale on Tauri where you are, then, for them to be 8K less.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

That is because of the perception that some have that foreign vehicles are somehow 'better. 'The Mazda (Ford) truck sells for at least $1,500 more than the Ranger when equipped the same, but it has a 4/50 warranty to Fords 3/36. The Ranger outsells the Mazda ten to one. The Pontiac Vibe (Toyota) sells for less than the Matrix when equipped the same, but the Vibe outsell the Toyota five to three.

mike hunt

"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

How does one justify the 'Ford build quality is poorer' statement when both vehicles are built on the same assembly line controlled by Ford? Sounds like more Ford bashing to me.

mike hunt

Nick Trouns>

Reply to
IleneDover2

Good idea except I already have that on my car for the headlamps. ;)

mike hunt

Geoff Welsh wrote:

Reply to
IleneDover2