Really bad wobble

Okay, so I have a 90 Ford Escort...old, but it's all I got. At any speed it wobbles horribly at the front end ...not always, but it seems to do it after driving for about 15-20 minutes. Brand new tires. Balanced and all. My girlfriend told me that the tires were wobbling back and forth. I was thinking it was the wheel bearings, but I was wondering if it could be anything else. Is it easy enough to replace them? I am a single mom with very low cash flow. Can't really afford to take it in and even if I did the damn thing probably wouldn't do it when they drove it. I really need some help...thanx so much...

Reply to
gooseminusmav

Jack up the car as if you were changing a tire. Then, grab the freed wheel and try to wiggle it. If it wiggles, either the wheel is loose (tighten lug nuts) or the wheel bearings are shot. IF NO wiggle, it's probably part of the suspension behind the wheels (steering gear). Check the other side the same way.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

Do you have a local college that teaches auto mechanics ? Sometimes you can get repairs done for the price of the parts . You need to get it looked at , take it back to the place you got the tires and explain your situation.

Reply to
PhilO

These days everybody has a very low cash flow except for Executives, major stock holders, movie stars and star atheletes. In a free country the rich are free to exploit the common man.

AS for your car. If wheel bearings are too loose you can have wobble. If your tires are old and worn unevenly, that could cause wobble. You could have a loose tie rod or loose steering linkage that needs fixing. Do not go to an alignment shop as they tell you to sign on for a major front end rebuild before they can align. Take it to an honest mechanic if you can not find the problem.

goosem> Okay, so I have a 90 Ford Escort...old, but it's all I got. At any speed it

Reply to
Moses

After 15 - 20 minutes your breaks could be getting hot and expanding your warped discs. Bet you get it when you use the breaks as well.

Reply to
RustY©

That's a good point I forgot to mention. Auto parts sell cheap after market discs and better ones that cost twice as much. The better ones are much less inclines to warp like that. Bad discs should only create a wobbling sensation (pulsing of the pedal) when brakes are applied, though.

RustY. wrote:

Reply to
Moses

$5 we never hear anymore from the originator of the post.

Reply to
PhilO

So start with the discs and go from there...I just needed a little help and you guys have at least gave a few things to run with and see what happens... Thanks ladies and gents...have a great day

Reply to
gooseminusmav via CarKB.com

Maybe you have some Weebles in the back seat that the kids left there. You know, they wobble, but they don't fall down. ;-)

It sounds like something potentially very serious, possibly with the suspensions or steering system. You cannot afford *not* to take it in, if you like to be able to steer the car. Steering the car is helpful with the kids in the back.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Replaced the rotors calipers and pads and seemed to fix the problem. Thanks for your help. Wish I would've known how easy that would be I would have done it sooner...