rear brakes

replaceing rear drum brakes on 98 ford contour and i can't find the adjustment the drum won't fit after we put the new brakes on can't figure it out.

the adjuster should be on the bottom should not be hard to find and if you put new brakes then you put adjuster on now did you put the shoes on right you have 2 differnt size shoes one short and one long pad now if you put the same size instead one big and one small drum will not fit
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

I am pretty sure there is no adj on that rear set up. Many of the newer small cars don`t have any on the rear. If you have a problem then you assembled wrong or wrong parts. KB
--
Thunder Snake #9
"Protect" your rights or "lose" them.

No adjustment? You're kidding right? A 98 Contour definitely does have an adjuster. I have yet to see a drum brake setup that doesn't. Bob
I'll second that..... It is absolutely scary that someone can handle the adjuster, not recognize it and continue working on the brakes....
I can only suggest that neophytes purchase the manual specific to the car they are working on and peruse the pertinent sections BEFORE work commences, once again with the wheels off and the brakes exposed and again during the process when necessary.
FWIW, these brakes are not duo-servo self energizing..... looking at the bottom for the adjuster is futile. Instead, the adjuster is in the strut between the shoes, directly below the wheel cylinder. Additionally, many late model cars with drum rear brakes feature one thickness of lining on the leading shoe and another thickness of lining material on the trailing shoe.... these must not be mixed up!!
This is brakes, guys..... not a high school experiment. If the car don't stop, you get more than a failing grade and you never get a chance to do it over....
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 01:16:16 GMT, "Jim Warman"

is generally only true of self energizing brakes. Twin leading shoe (or fixed anchor) brakes GENERALLY have the same friction material on all 4 shoes.

is not obvious to the uninitiated.If that automatic adjuster siezes, there is no method of adjustment.

I've said it before, I'll say it again..... http://www.autozone.com
Repair Info Repair Guides 1998 Ford Contour Brakes Drum Brakes Brake Shoes
That leads you to:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/d8/75/0900823d801bd875.jsp
Click the pics for bigger pics.
MasterBlaster wrote:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/d8/75/0900823d801bd875.jsp
Yes and BE SURE THERE IS A SPRING on that adjuster strut cam! It is not obvious if it is missing, but it will cause your parking brake to not hold (not to mention your rear brakes to be ineffective). That one cost me hundreds of dollars over three years, 'til I finally broke down and did it myself, and (eventually) discovered the missing springs... See pic at
http://i5.tinypic.com/14limtc.jpg
Cheers, John Clonts Temple, Texas