Rear Disc

Does anyone have any information on frequency of Rear Disc Rotor Warpage. I have never seen or experience one. I heard a guy spinning a yarn about rear
disc rotor warpage and would like to know what would cause this 20% worker to warp.
V.B. Mercon opined in

Gee... not that I'm a pro., but i had a rear disc caliper hang up and it just ground down the rotor but didnt warp it.
I think it's BS

No way.... I have made some serious panic stops in Pa, NY and in Canada from triple digit speeds, front rotors warped, but like I said, nothing ever happened to the rear rotors...

It's a lot more common than you think. Happens a lot. Just because the rear brakes do not do the bulk of the stopping does not mean the parts do not heat up. If you would notice, most rear rotors are not vented.

I do know that the rear rotors heat up, but not as much as the front as to cause warping. I participated in an autocross once and we did not experience a single rear rotor warping.. but lots of front warping.. Street driving does not even begin to approach the stress the brakes experience in an autocross.. that is where I am coming from...

living you probably see a few more than normal :) Also alot of rear axle seals leaking because of the heat.
Scott wrote:

Curious scott if your a cop car man. What are the main drive train issues you normally see working with police cars? How long does your shop keep the cars before they auction them? What's the strangest thing you have ever found in a cop car?
BOB
wrote in message

2. depends, I have to guess average 160K 3. All kinds of dope and pipes ect. And of course the puke in the back seat is always fun. :)
And what type of vehicle were you using for autocross? What were the driving conditions? I've done quite a bit of racing, both straight line and making turns so that does not impress me. I can tell you that it is not uncommon for rear rotors to warp, and it happens a lot. It does not only happen on Lincolns or Mercury's, but Asian imports and European imports. I have also seen Medium/Heavy duty trucks that have disk brakes have warped rotors.

OK, I take your word as expert gospel... "rear rotors do warp with more than a minimum frequency..."

No "expert gospel", just some one who has been in the business for over 30 years.

"V.B. Mercon" wrote:

Maybe a little old lady riding the brakes constantly ??? We all have been behind that car at some time.....
BOB
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:55:37 -0500, "V.B. Mercon"

I've yet to see a rotor warp. I've seen them ground down but in my experience anyhow, they've always remained true.