Rear Engine Plate...

Before removing the oil pan, I removed the rear engine plate and what I believe was once a 1/4" x 1/4" strip of foam insulation sitting between the rear engine place and the oil pan, crumbled into a coarse powder!

So, can I replace the oil pan and rear engine plate without any foam insulation?

Thanks!

Jimmy Leadfoot

Reply to
jimmyleadfoot

Are you talking about the access plate to the transmission bell housing? (This lets you access the torque convertor bolts, inspect the teeth, etc)

If so, they are not highly critical, but I would probably put some thin foam back on there (most hardware stores) to keep the water and mud out as much as possible.

I have seen a lot of beaters with no access panel remaining.

If you are talking about something else, please advise.

Reply to
hls

I think we are talking about the same thing... On a 2002 Ford Taurus it is held in place by one bolt and the starter... If you want to see a picture of the item, you can see it at:

Jimmy Leadfoot

Reply to
jimmyleadfoot

We are talking about the same thing. That foam is there to keep water and mud out. I would see if I could find some very thin strip foam and replace it.

Reply to
hls

It may or may not be needed depending on where you drive. In extreme dust areas, it may help extend rear seal and trans seal life by reducing exposure to dust. It may also help reduce the salt spray where de-icing material are used on the roads. It won't hurt anything by being installed.

Lugnut.

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks!!!

Reply to
jimmyleadfoot

Thanks!!!

Reply to
jimmyleadfoot

Thanks!!!

Reply to
jimmyleadfoot

Well, that is what I indicated in my first post, but it doesnt hurt to put something there, and might even help.

I would hate to tell someone to do something a little bit shoddy, even though it is not likely needed.

Reply to
hls