Rear suspension / towing Taurus 93 wagon

Hi all.

I have a couple of questions regarding our trusty old Taurus. It's 13 years old now, and is propably going to be replaced in a year or so; but we're building a house and it such a heck of a convenient vehicle for hauling stuff around!

Anyway, it's been squeeking (squeaking?) for about a month now, in the back. I have to go over a number of speed bumps every day, and every time I do that I hear that nasty squeeking, when the rear goes up and down. And that's at 5 mph or less. I'm assuming the suspension is getting tired at this age...

Question: would this be the spring, or the shock making that sound? Shock, strut, I don't know the difference, sorry. Are they synonyms? (Not a native English speaker, sorry).

Are these parts easy to replace, with regular tools? In this small TX town there's only one mechanic left, and his hourly rate keeps going up...

After that is fixed I'd like to install a hitch (another word I'm not sure of) under the back to tow a small trailer. I've heard it can be owner-installed. Any recommendations?

Thanks for your time,

Rick

Reply to
Rick

No, but function is similar.

Looked ok to me.. we would have never known; plenty native english spkrs dont know difference from strut and muffler bearing.

But it could be ANYTHING.. gonna have to park it straddling a ditch, get under and have someone push it up and down while you inspect.

Depends on what it is.. see autozone.com .. their repair instructions give you a good idea (thought they NEVER illustrate 'degree of difficulty')

Under 1000 lbs total, why not. Your trans could go at anytime, anyway. Install a trans cooler to extend life, whether or not.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks Krusty!

Reply to