Rear tyre wear on a new shape Mondeo

Hi,
This is a UK query, sorry if the group is exclusively US....
I've had a lucky escape... I knew I needed new fronts but the guy at the local Kwik-Fit also looked over the rears on my 37,000 mile, LX estate and
announced they were both down to the canvas on their inside edges.
I was gobsmacked because on both wheels all but the radiused part on the inner edge looked like a new tyre. Unless you were looking for this wear, you'd just do as I did, and assume all was well. I don't tow, the car really does just do light duty stuff (shopping and 4 passengers max) and it sits right with regard to height.
I've noticed that the estates seem to have 'kicked-out' wheels and I suppose this wear results from this setup. The thing is, are they all like this, or is mine an extreme example?
At 100 apiece I'm cheesed off to replace tyres that are 95% like new, but, more than that, I'm concerned that this is a safety issue.
Any thoughts?
TIA Pete
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.net says...

You didn't state what year this is, but it sounds like this is a warranty issue. Or at least something you should ask the dealer about. If they aren't helpful, get a four wheel alignment. I'm not sure how it works on your side of the pond, but if you make enough noise about the tires, the dealer might do an alignment for you for free.