Rear Wheel Alignment Problem

Hello,

I have another problem with my '97 Ford Taurus Wagon.

I just got a flat tire and was putting the spare on it. I noticed that the inside of the left rear tire was bald and the steal belt was showing. I replaced the tire and the tire place said that it needs a rear wheel alignment. They couldn't do the alignment today. The weird thing is the rear tire on the right looks fine. My question is can one side of the rear be bad causing my tire to wear wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
John

Yes, misalignment can cause uneven wear on individual tires. Get the alignment done ASAP or the new tire(s) will wear out prematurely.

Reply to
Bob

Park the car n a flat lot and look at the rear end. Is it sagging or hanging low? if so it many need springs (wagon has springs on rear i believe). Also, there is a special kit that can be added to the wagons rear suspension to increase its range of adjustment. Its got a eccentric wheel and bolt.

You must be careful when jacking a wagon up that you don't put a floor jack under where the rear end would normally be on a rear drive car. The metal holders for the independent arms can easily get bent if you put a jack there. (don't ask how i know...)

Use the bumper or a side jack point if you jack it up.

Bob

Reply to
bob urz

I can't remember the last time I saw a *car* that you could safely use the bumper to jack it up (I think it was one of my Dad's old cars...).

Reply to
Slightly Graying Wolf

'70s bumper lift boats I think. Back when a station wagon was a station wagon, and not the mid-compact cars they are trying to pass off as a station wagon these days.

Reply to
Pete C.

The rear suspension on Taurus vehicles (sedan and wagon) had a weakness that allowed the geometry to go out rather easily. I think there is a bulletin about it.

As for bumper jacks, there hasn't been a Taurus made with a metal bumper. Jack from the assigned jack points or the hard points where the suspension subframe joins the body (the assigned jack points are fragile, and after a few years, if they have deformed at all, they rust away.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca