Rear wiper will not turn off on '92 Tracer

I have a 1992 Mercury Tracer wagon, 1.9L (same car as the '92 Ford Escort wagon). A few days ago, I started the car and the rear wiper would not turn off.
Except for one time when I drove over a bump in the road, the wiper will not turn off when the ignition is engaged.
In addition, for the past few weeks, my headlights have occasionally turned themselves off. I turn them back on by flashing my brights.
The steering column has one post that controls the front and rear wipers, with intermittent settings. Another post controls the headlights.
Apparently, these are part of a combination switch. Will I have to replace the switch? Or is there a less expensive way to fix these problems?
Bob Jones opined

It's a pretty popular car... and, despite fact Multifunction Switch problems are fairly common, they dont ALL fail... go to a salvage yard.
Spray contact cleaner with a long nozzel?

We had a similar rear wiper motor problem with our '97 Escort wagon - turns out several of the wires that pass between the body and the rear hatch had frayed and come apart within the black rubber boot that connects the two. Repairing the wires solved the problem.