recharge the AC 1995 Lincoln Continental

We have recently purchased a used lincoln continental, in emaculate condition, save for the air conditioner.

I know it is not adviseable to recharge it myself, but for curiousity's sake, i would love to know how to do it myself. I have quite a bit of experience in dealing with the underings of vehicles, but this one is baffling me, as i have never done this in the garage by myself.

Thanks

Allen

MACKSTRUX2(AT)AOL dot com

Reply to
allen thornburg via CarKB.com

Hi Allen, Doing AC work by the book using proper recovery and recycling procedures is not a DIY job. With that being said, AC repairs are not hard or really complicated. The key is understanding how the system works. You will need a manifold gauge set, a vacuum pump, and basic hand tools to sucessfully fix the system on your car. Check out

especially the forum area for a lot og good ACinformation. On your Conti. the problem areas that I know of are: the compressor shaft seal, any of the "spring lock" fitting o-rings, and rust on the suction line. Look for the larger line running from the compressor, up along the right inner fender in front of the motor to an aluminum can on the firewall (the accumulator). That line often rusts under the black foam wrapping. Oily dirt on connections, lines, or the front of the compressor is a dead giveaway of leaks. Good Luck, Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins