recharging r12 system

1993 crown vic w/ r12
I have a 93 ford with R12 refrigerant in it, and i'm sure the new "recharge" kits would be r134a.
What i'm getting at is, my AC doesnt work worth peanuts now, is this r12
system compatable with r134a? can i recharge the system with the new kits such as available at automotive stores)
What are my options here?
Thanks.
These kits come with 3 fittings, and 3 cans -- 2 refrigerants, and 1 stopleak.
Also,
Anyone tell me how to switch a system from mineral oil (r12) to using the new lube, poe oil with r134a refrigerant?
is the lubrication mixed with the r12 (meaning once the system is drained of r12 there is no mineral oil?)
Thanks a million
Picasso wrote:

If you're converting to R134a, the leaks (o-rings) should be fixed, system should be evacuated, flushed and vacuumed (to remove moisture) as a bare minimum. The R134a conversion kits work fairly well as long as the original compressor oil is gone and the steps above are followed. As an alternative, when my '90 Mark VII AC went bad, I went online, studied for and took the IMACA test ($25) that granted me the necessary EPA exemption certificate to buy all the R12 I needed. I then did the o-ring thing (fixed leaks), vacuumed and then recharged the system. This was three years ago and the R12 system still works like new, for < $100 spent, and I have "backup" R12 if I ever require a light charge.

Go look on ebay and search for "freeze 12." I bought one of these kits two years ago and am very happy with it. After two years it is still working fine. Fix your leak first and this will work great. I have a new compressor for your truck if you need one, a family member put my 93 into the salvage yard before I got it installed.
Scott wrote:

how did you search for your leaks?
I've heard even soapy water works, but i doubt that... anyway, what do you think?

Look for oily dirt around your connections and see if any of the hoses have rubbed against something.
nd if you decide to go the cheap way, the a/c system really needs to have the R12 recycled not bled off into the air and be completely evacuated with a vacuum pump to boil off any moisture and old R12 and that also gets any air out of the system for better cool. Well this is getting long but knowledge is power. Peace Out, Bob

Picasso wrote:

in canada we have stuff called red-tek r12 replacment.. works quite good
http://www.redtek.ca /

Yup, last night, my wife used some of this stuff to cook me a big ol' T-bone steak.
Nice to see it's hiding under a new name...
http://www.vasa.org.au/images/movies/hc_demo.mov
http://members.shaw.ca/ronhovestad/Pics/Compressor%201.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/ronhovestad/Pics/Compressor%202.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/ronhovestad/Pics/Condensor%201.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/ronhovestad/Pics/Condensor%20from%20top.jpg
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/technology_watch/1758061.h tml?page=3&c=y
Propane with a splash of butane makes a great R12 replacement. It has all the right characteristics, might even work better than R12. Of course, it can be used in a blowtorch - or, as aarcuda sez, in the gas grill. The last I knew, the US Gummint did not smile upon it as refrigerant, tho. They figered it was too easy to go boom.
PoD
fireater wrote:

How much does this stuff cost?

T'ain't cheap. Although neither was R12 towards the end. Check it out here:
http://stores.redtek1.com/Categories.bok?category=Refrigerants%3ARefrigerant+12a
SC Tom