Removing alternator/power steering bracket on 3.0 1994

My Haynes is letting me down and Googling gets me nowhere... and there's nothing on the Taurus Car Club site that I can find...
How do you get to the bottom bolt to the engine, on the bracket that
holds the alternator, power steering pump and automatic belt tensioner? Do I have to remove the latter... strong spring and all?
I'm trying to get at the heads and replace the water pump.
Dave G.
Dave G wrote:

if you have a 3.0 engine you dont have to remove all that stuff to just change a water pump.. i got a 93 taurus, 3.0 and to change the water pump i just unbolted the alt. and flipped it up to get it out of the way.. take off the coolant recoverry tank and you then loosen the pulley bolts.. then the belt and then the pulley and then the water pump.... the rest is easy.. hope i did not forget anything.. i used the Haynes manual to change out the water pump and never had a bit of a problem... hope this helps.
Thanks - unfortunately, I have to remove the heads as well, and for the front head, I have to get this bracket off - something's broken or a head gasket has started leaking, and I can't tell definitively from the plugs which cylinder(s) have the trouble.
Dave G.

It sounds like you may be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Do yourself a favor and find a good mechanic. In the end it will probably save you money and a lot of frustration. I seriously doubt that you have a head gasket leaking. Bob
"Dave G" <dgayman(at)rcn(dot)com> wrote in message wrote:

Something's amiss. Last Monday, clean-running engine. Tuesday, huge clouds of white and blue smoke out the tailpipe, lots of nasty-smelling steam from the back of the engine. Coolant going away from the radiator overflow tank... but no apparent loss of power, no problem idling, no problem starting.
I'd love to hire a mechanic, but he'd have to work on my wages right now... almost nothing. I've rebuilt several engines, but prior to the transverse & computer-controlled days.
Now, how do I get that bottom bolt out?
Dave

Well... that does sound like a head gasket problem. I would pull the intake manifold first though and check for problems there. I'm not sure which bolt you are talking about, but I always pulled the power steering pump pulley off for easier access IIRC. Like I say the 3.0 was a good engine.... It's been a while since I had one apart. Bob "Dave G" <dgayman(at)rcn(dot)com> wrote in message wrote: