Removing rust underneath a vehicle.

Is there a proper way to remove rust from all areas possible underneath an older vehicle so I can spray Zero Rust, which is just a rust proof paint. Yesterday I purchased a 3" rough wire
brush for my 5" grinder and rough tested it last night on metal, it sparks a lot and is difficult to control. I have thought of sand paper, grinding wheels, but am not really sure what is the way to go.
Any body out there who can lead me in a direction as to what are the proper tools to remove rust. Also remember I will be working underneath a vehicle.
Thanks in advance Denny B
You will be working under a vehicle that is on what? A hoist, jack stands? If you have access to a hoist, I'd be renting a Sand Blaster and tackle it that way...