Removing trim panels from door openings of 1993 Ford Escort?

My Ford Escort has hard plastic trim pieces between the headliner and the openings for the doors, and I'd like to know how to remove them with minimal damage. Do I just pull, or do I have to unlock some
hidden tabs holding them in place (how)?
The library in my town isn't very good for car repair manuals.