Reparing Leak in Tire Side Wall

Page 2 of 5
Sasquatch Jones wrote:

Safety #1. right? I'd try to find a similar used tire. I wouldn't have peace of mind if I have a tire with side wall problem specially driving on freeway.
On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 10:55:19 -0800, "Sasquatch Jones"

Radial sidewalls are quite fragile -and repairing them is generally not recommended. A clean puncture is one thing, but a "bruise" is another. If it has not damaged any cords (unlikely by your description) a tube MIGHT be acceptable - but it must be a tube made for radial tires - such as a Michelin AirStop. Even then, heating can be a problem. I would STRONGLY recommend replacing the tire.

I have a slow lead in the side wall that came from scraping some kind of sharp object laying by the curb. Looks like a 1/2-inch cut, but jagged. Tire is tubeless radial. Is it possible to patch something like this on the side wall? Patch kits say they are for the tread but don't say specifically not to use them on the side.
2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.
== Thanks many times over everyone! Both front tires are both close to needing replacing anyway. I'll catch one of the Veterans Day sales.
I have a slow lead in the side wall that came from scraping some kind of sharp object laying by the curb. Looks like a 1/2-inch cut, but jagged. Tire is tubeless radial. Is it possible to patch something like this on the side wall? Patch kits say they are for the tread but don't say specifically not to use them on the side.
2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.
== Thanks many times over everyone! Both front tires are both close to needing replacing anyway. I'll catch one of the Veterans Day sales.
I like America's Tire Stores, www.tires.com
Tire Rack, www.tirerack.com, is also a good choice. At Tire Rack, they ship tires to you, and you take them to the tire store and pay an installation charge. You can call the installer and see if they accept a drop-shipment. America's Tire has a competitive price and they will get whatever you need shipped in for free.
Costco has a limited selection, but the selection they have is pretty good. They generally have a Good, Better, and Best option for each size.
DO NOT PAY EXTRA FOR NITROGEN. This is snake oil for tires. It might work as claimed, but the air we breathe already is full of nitrogen. My only point is, do not pay an upcharge for nitrogen. If they do it for free, then do not refuse. But do not pay extra.
On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 10:24:36 -0800, "Jeff Strickland"

more is highway robbery.

No, nitrogen is snake oil. The air we breathe is already something like 80% nitrogen. You can do a search, but paying a tire shop for nitrogen is a waste of money, $10.00 using your threshold.
It's not bad, it's only not worth paying for.

With the air in the tire already 80% nitrogen and the outside of all tires has the same mix of 80 % nitrogen and 20% oxygen (with a trace of other elements) what good does the all nitrogen do ? Especially if the car is not driven enough to heat up the tires.

The idea is that a molecule of nitrogen is larger, therefore it will seep out slower. Let's assume this is true, is it worth money to forestall putting more air into the tires someday? There's NOTHING WRONG with nitrogen, the problem is paying for it.
'Buy our tires and get free nitrogen,' is a good sales pitch.
'Buy our tires, we'll put in nitrogen for ten bucks,' is ten bucks too much.
On 11/5/2014 6:50 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:

It's been a few decades, but nitrogen atomic weight 14, oxygen is 16.

Probably has not changed, but with global warming there are no guaranties.
On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 15:50:44 -0800, "Jeff Strickland"

$10.00??? Or even on a $600.00 purchace.
On 11/5/2014 9:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If I spend $1000 for tires, the least you can do is give me the nitrogen that cost you 50 cents to make.

Obvious you've never been in the automotive service or tire business!!

Ten bucks it ten bucks. I'd rather pay it at Starbucks than buying air for my tires.
Nitrogen is snake oil, one. It's already in the air, two.
Pay for it if you want, but you might as well light your money on fire.

On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 08:55:11 -0800, "Jeff Strickland"

so, then P!$$ it down the drain!!
On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 18:33:15 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

maintained pressure better than when inflated with 80% nitrogen. Marginally - but enough that I'll pay the $10 for a set of 4. You may not find it worth while. That is your perogotive.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Specially in cold weather region like where I live. I can see less pressure fluctuation with N filled tires by monitoring with TPMS on the dash. N is not snake oil at least for me.

If indeed these benefits to the dealer do exist, then it is "quite obvious" there is a benefit to the owner as well - which over the life of the tires is "definitely" worth $10.

And the real truth of the matter is MOST tire shops either do not have a drier or do not maintain it faithfully - so you are not getting "dry" air.

first place??

tire buyers have to follow your lead.