Reparing Leak in Tire Side Wall

Page 4 of 5
On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 12:55:46 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

Either tires are a LOT cheaper in the USA than in Canada (I know they are somewhat cheaper) or you are buying crappy tires. I haven't bought a tire for less than $118 on sale in quite a few years - and I don't have 17 inch or larger rims or super low profile tires.

I was somewhat low on the tire prices. I put a good grade of Michelin tires on. They are about $ 125 each. This is just a standard Toyota. Still that $ 60 to $ 80 just for the sensor is way too high. I bet they only cost about $ 10 or less to make. Especially in the large quantites they are mass produced in. The tires did come with free rotation and flat repair. If you have to pay someone to rotate the tires two times a year, you might say the tires are almost free after 5 or 6 years.
On 11/7/2014 3:36 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Costco charged $45 for an after-market sensor for a 2007 Toyota Camry. There would be no extra installation cost if replaced at the time tires are replaced.
The manufacturing cost is immaterial, but it's probably about $3, not $10.
On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 18:36:18 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

The cost to ship and warehouse them is more than that.

And I do all my own rotation and seasonal tire changes (as well as virtually all of my own repairs)

There is talk of making TPMS and stability control mandatory on all vehicles in North America within 5 years.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My Yaris, which is the bottom of the Toyota lineup, came with TPMS, ABS, traction control and stability control as standard equipment. The traction/stability control isn't bad in the winter but it makes playing in the dirt difficult. I'm used to getting a little sideways but the computer will have none of it.
Supposedly there is some arcane set of actions you can take to turn it off but that only last until you turn the engine off.
On 11/5/2014 12:57 PM, Sasquatch Jones wrote:

I went to a wrecking yard and got some used tires. Seems OK, and has more tread than the ones I took off.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/5/2014 12:57 PM, Sasquatch Jones wrote:

Check around for a good local tire shop. We have one in town and everyday prices are as good or better than the chain stores. Service is far better too!
Last year I put on a set of Nokian tires. A true all season tie for any part of North America. Best tires I've ever had.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had a set of Nokian studs on the last car. One thing Finns understand is driving on ice and snow. They even make studded bicycle tires.
I have a slow lead in the side wall that came from scraping some kind of sharp object laying by the curb. Looks like a 1/2-inch cut, but jagged. Tire is tubeless radial. Is it possible to patch something like this on the side wall? Patch kits say they are for the tread but don't say specifically not to use them on the side.
2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.
SJ
++++++++++++++++++++ You cannot repair a sidewall. Let me say that differently, go to the tire store where they fix tires that leak, they will not repair a sidewall.
You need to buy a new tire.

And, you do not need onen tire, you need two unless the tires on your car are reasonably new and still available. The rule of thumb is that you should have matched tires on the same axle, both size and style/model of tire. The exception is when you put the spare on, but then you should do tire repairs or replacements and put the spare back into the trunk.
Sasquatch Jones posted for all of us...
Along with all the posts in the thread the OP admits he needs new tires anyway...
The latest information I have read is that the best tread should be mounted to the rear axle.
--
Tekkie

2x on that. Best tires on the rear axle. It's easier to control a blowout on the front, you can still steer. Rear blowouts are prone to causing the rear to come around, IE spin out.
On Thu, 6 Nov 2014 07:29:07 -0500, "repairman54"

That's not the reason though. The reason is the rear end needs to stay BEHIND you, and with less tread on the rear, it WILL come around just when you least expect it. This is why in MOST jurisdictions it is ILLEGAL to put snows on the front only on a front wheel drive car.
On 11/6/2014 12:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You know, at the WALMART near me, they INSIST on put the NEW TIRES on the drive wheels. Which in MY CASE is the BACK. That didn't MUCH help when I got HIT BY a semi driver on THE HIGHWAY. My vehicle SLID SIDE WAYS and then tipped UP on its SIDE and slid SOME MORE.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That should make a case for rotating the tires every 5000 or whatever miles. They all have about the same ammount of tread and should all be replaced at the same time.
On Thu, 6 Nov 2014 13:14:01 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

I move them front to rear every time I change them.take off the snows and put on the summers opposite of how they came off. I never rotate tires left to right.
Correction...... what I thought was a cut on the sidewall turned out to be cosmetic. There was a screw in the tread causing the leak. How did I find out? I got such a run-around at the tire stores that I decided to stop looking for a "bargain" and went to my neighborhood mechanic. If it was going to cost $100 for a tire, I would rather give him the business.
Within 2 minutes he had found a leak - screw in the tread. Sidewall was just a cosmetic scratch from scraping the curb. Total charge $15 plus I gave him some extra $$.
The lessons here for me are to only do business with people you trust, and there is no free lunch.
Now, about the tire store run around....
Every one of them I called on the phone had a different story and price when I showed up.
For example.... one $55 tire over the phone at Big O Tires ended up being $107 after tax, balance, installation and recycle fee. The "4 for 2" special now being advertised by Big O Tires turned out to be four $55 tires plus extras, totaling over $400: two tires at $70 each plus $40 times 4 for balance, installation, tax and recycle fee, plus the "required" super deluxe lifetime front end alignment for $110.
I have a slow lead in the side wall that came from scraping some kind of sharp object laying by the curb. Looks like a 1/2-inch cut, but jagged. Tire is tubeless radial. Is it possible to patch something like this on the side wall? Patch kits say they are for the tread but don't say specifically not to use them on the side.
2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.
SJ
On 11/9/2014 8:49 PM, Sasquatch Jones wrote:

Been dealing with the same tire guy for 30 years now. Fair price, no BS. Stick with your guy if you have a good one.

I had a flat on my Durango while towing a horse trailer. Don't know when it happened, spotted it when I came out of a restaurant. Drove across the street to Big-O. They wouldn't even consider looking at it while the horse trailer was attached. grumble. They took it off, said it was unrepairable, a zillion dollars for a replacement. Fortunately, they were out of stock.
I had them put the full size, but different looking, spare on, and headed home.
My regular tire guy said nothing major, fixed the flat, and I wore the tire out.
--
Clarence A Dold - Santa Rosa, CA, USA GPS: 38.47,-122.65