Replacement Ignition Coils Ford Escape

My 2001 Escape has 75K miles and I am thinking about new spark plugs. This requires several hours of work as the intake manifold must be removed to reach the rear bank. I see that ignition coil failures are not uncommon. I would not even think of replacing all 6 ignition coils @ $50-70 each. But I see several suppliers on eBay sell "geniune" "Made in USA" Motorcraft replacement sets - 6 coils - for about $100 total. Sound too good to be true? Does anyone have any experience using the eBay 6 coil sets? Thank you.

Reply to
John Keiser

When you buy stuff from eBay, you're not buying them from eBay. You're buying them from a private seller.

So why are you thinking about replacing good working coils with ones that you can't even see before you buy them, doing lots of work, for a problem that you don't even have? What if one is bad or you make a mistake?

Why are you thinking about replacing spark plugs now? When does the manual say you should replace spark plugs?

You need to read the owner's manual and service manual, and replace things according to that.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yes, I understand eBay. The sellers appear to be real entities - i.e., Global Automotive.

The Escape has not thrown any DTCs yet but sometimes has a slight studder between 40-60 MPH when accelerating under load. [I just cleaned the IAC and throttle body but have not tested yet.]

Some Escape owners have ended up changing one or more ignition coils as a fix. 2 hours of labor involved.

I won't do that until I am more convinced that is the problem.

But I live in Hawaii and have less access to cheap auto parts than most folks on the mainland.

If I ever had to replace a bad ignition coil, I'd rather replace all 6 for the price of 2 if the units supplied by Global Automotive are legit.

Hence, my question: are the 6 coil sets @ $100 legit?

Thanks.

When you buy stuff from eBay, you're not buying them from eBay. You're buying them from a private seller.

So why are you thinking about replacing good working coils with ones that you can't even see before you buy them, doing lots of work, for a problem that you don't even have? What if one is bad or you make a mistake?

Why are you thinking about replacing spark plugs now? When does the manual say you should replace spark plugs?

You need to read the owner's manual and service manual, and replace things according to that.

Jeff

Reply to
John Keiser

those "genuine made in USA Motorcraft replacement coils" are made in USA China. that is why they are so cheap. there is made in USA, and made in the U.S.A. this is a marketing trick that has been in use for almost 20 years. and it is totally legal, because they are telling the truth. the parts are made in USA. you see that, and assume they are made in the United States of America.

Reply to
Tom

Jim Warman

There is not a USA, China. There is a USA, Japan, however.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to