replacing belt tensioner

hi......i'm replacing the belt tensioner on a 1997 ford taurus 3.0 engine. what do i need to loosen up to get the belt back on??.......thanks

Reply to
mrfunseeker51

isn't the tensioner spring loaded like my 90? you put a ratchet with a large pipe on it or buy the $50 breaker bar, your choice and pull. you might also be a muscle man and not need the breaker bar. try and avoid using a ridiculously cheap ratchet like I did and smash your fingers when the tension makes it break.

Reply to
petebert

This is an easy job.

Use a good 15mm combination wrench(box end on the tensioner pulley bolt), use it from above, and start back toward the firewall some (I know - it just looks wrong). Start w/ the belt on all pulleys except the alternator, and swing the tensioner all the way, enough to slip the belt on to the alternator... You will have the strength, it just looks like you won't.

It will seem the bolt would break, but it doesn't.

The most time consuming part of the whole thing is to fish the new, stiff belt around each pulley. Follow the belt routing diagram - the

850 belt is the right one.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1