Replacing Ford '80 F250 Ignition Lock Without Key

I'm replacing the ignition lock on a 1980 Ford F250 Pickup. The keys are lost. I have the steering wheel off, and I'm at the point where I'm trying to remove the old lock. The instructions say I need a key, and to turn it to the Run position. I can't do that, of course. So what should I do? Just drill it out? Is that going to work?

-- (||) Nehmo (||)

Reply to
Nehmo

We had a lengthy discussion about this a year or so ago. I've never done it, personally, but here's what folks said to do. First, know that the metal that the lock cylinder is made of is pretty weak stuff, much weaker than the metal in the column. What you do is put a great big common screwdriver in the lock and turn for all your worth. You'll probably have to pinch the handle of the screwdriver with a pair of locking pliers to get enough force. The metal in the cylinder will shear off and you can take it right out.

There's supposed to be a Ford tool that does this, but others said that they've done it this way many times.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Well, there is the Destructive Removal Method. What I'd try first is the non-destructive method. If you can pop the cover that holds the tumblers in, then you should be able to turn the cylinder with relative ease. The tumblers will have a spring between them and the cover that you're looking for (if there is one), and once the springs come out, the tumblers can be pulled out with something like a dab of grease on the end of a probe.

Another poster suggested using a big-ass screwdriver and twisting it for all you are worth. I don't like the sound of that plan very much ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I replaced the ignition cylinder on a Ford Tempo by using a big screwdriver and a hammer to shatter the cylinder and then pick the pieces out. An experienced car thief told me about that way (I work in a prison).

Reply to
NapalmHeart

That or the good old "Dent puller" trick to yank the pot metal piece out.

Reply to
Backfire Bob