replacing idler pulley in 1996 Aerostar- easy or hard???

The pulley broke the other day, and I'm considering doing it mtself- I'm fairly mechanical, and have a decent set of tools-
I was wondering about retensioning the belt. The tensioner is at the
bottom of the engine- do I really need a special tool to loosen the pulley so I can get the belt back on???
I looks pretty straight forward (herein lies the deceptive dangers!!!)...
Jackson Hole, Wyoming

The tensioner's a bit of a bitch to get to, needs high quality 3/8 drive (on '89 anyway)nub (had a cheapo 1/2-3/8 adapter break), but otherwise pretty straight-forward.
you pay..DEAL with it!

Thanks for the reply...I can get what I need off the 'ole internet, but the local ford dealer has the idler pulley- but with no grooves in it- my belt has the grooves in it.
The parts counter guy says it doeasn't matter about the grooves, and anyway Foed doesn't make the grooved pulley anymore...
It would be nice to have the part today, but I want to get exactly what I need.
Hi,
The way I would look at this is the following... You need to remove the belt in order to remove and replace the pully. The belt tensioner will be spring loaded. You will need a wrench to fit the belt tensioner and remove the spring tension with your muscle while removing the belt. Afterwards you will let the spring go slowly until it finds a rest.
Now will be the time to remove the pulley, but before removing the belt and tension loosen the pulley bolts. Only loosen... After you remove the belt it will be somewhat easy to remove the pulley bolts.
Replace the pulley and do everything in the reverse order.... Make sense?
You will have to gauge what tool you will need to remove tension on the belt. It will be a strong spring but doable. I have seen some Ford guys remove the belt without the tension tool. Need strong arms for that! Let me know if this helps please... Or ask anything you would like to for more help.
Gerald
thanks!
Report:
After attempting to get the part from my FLAPS (friendly local auto part store), both the local napa and the car quest told me it was a Ford-Only item, I went to the Local ford dealer- Cowboy Motors and found them ery helpful and not to terribly out of line insofar as the cost of the idler pullry was concerned- $37.95.
I didn't hae a chilton's manual, so I followed the belt routing diagram in the interior of the hood, folloew the diagram on how to use a 3/8 drive to loosen the belt tensioner, and "walla"
he belt was on- I only finger tightened the idler pulley, then used a 15mm open end wrench to tighten the pulley into the place it was supposed to go....
40 minutes from start to finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (including copious think time included in this figure)
Thanks for the help!!!!! thanks for the
Good job!
Gerald