replacing insturment cluster bulb 95 windstar

Title says it. Need to replace burnt out bulb in 95 Windstar insturment cluster. Cannot reach or access the cluster from behind the dash. Is there a simple access I am missing or is some disassembly required? Thanks in Advance Howard

Reply to
hnelson

hnelson

You might want to check a manual (Haynes or Ford or something) to be certain. (the Ford manual's exploded parts views are _extremely_ helpful!)

The Haynes manual for my old Escort said I had to take the dash apart to take the instrument panel out and then I could replace the bulbs. It looked like too much effort, so I never got around to it. (I could still see the speedometer, just part of it was dimmer)

The Ford manual for my BroncoII shows that I needed to take two screws for the ash tray out, then pull the 8 snaps to get the trim off. After that is about 4 screws holding the instrument panel in. Just last night I pulled the ash tray and trim off for a different reason. Not difficult, really. (BTW, the BroncoII is similar to the Aerostar since it has the same manual, but there's a different section in it showing how the Aerostar's trim and what-not are attached)

HTH,

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

I replaced a bulb in my 97 Windstar Instrument Panel, and it involved disassembling the dash, which is not difficult, but takes alot of time. In hindsight, I should have left it burned out....

Reply to
aw mcdermott

LOL.....did you expect this simple task to be an EASY, simple task? Even on my '81 I have to pull the instrument panel. I replace all of them while I was there......just in case......since they were all the same age/usage. It's not too difficult and all you should need is a Phillips screwdriver....powered screwdriver is nice. Remove the instrument-cluster cover, and then remove the screws holding the instrument panel to the dash and pull it forward. You 'may' have to disengage the speedometer cable. Once you have done the deed and BEFORE you put everything back together, turn on the lights and make sure the bulbs are lighted! Finding out afterward that the bulb you just replaced, still isn't working, is........not any fun at all! BTDT...

Have a good time!

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt