Replacing O2 Sensor on 87 Ford Taurus

Has anyone here replaced the O2 sensor on a 1987 Ford Taurus 2.5L?

I need to know where it is. I am using the drawing at

's site) but the drawing is confusing to me. The drawing shows whatlooks like a propeller on the right. What is that really? If I am standing at the front of the car, looking down, is the propeller-like thing on my right or my left? Between the engine and the front bumper or between the engine and the firewall?

Also, is the "front" of the engine on the left as one stands at the front of the car, looking down?

Any other hints on locating the oxygen sensor?

I am helping a relative do this from afar. I've done it on my Honda Civic straight-4 engine, but the V-6 design of the Taurus is throwing me off.

Reply to
Caroline

(Autozone's site) but the drawing is confusing to me. The drawing showswhat

propeller-like

That would be a cooling fan, yours is electric. If you have the replacement in hand, you should be able to find it by following the exhaust. you say you have a 2.5L, but the V-6's are 3.0 and 3.8 liters, and have two sensors. This may be a job you should hire out. Yes, the front of the engine is on your left, the back is bolted to the transmission.

Reply to
Michael O

"Michael O" wrote

We thought it was a symbol for the (yes, electric) cooling fan, too. The purpose of it we thought was to show drawing orientation.

But I don't know. It doesn't make complete sense to me.

You're right. My relative was mistaken. It's definitely a V-6, at least 3L.

I replaced the plug wires last February and remember six cylinders as well as the V-design.

Someone at rec.autos.tech said this, too. I am not finding confirmation of it in the manual or at Autozone's site but will keep my eyes peeled.

It's pre OBD-II, so do you mean two "upstream of the cat. converter" sensors?

Thanks on both counts. This is progress.

Reply to
Caroline

The orientation is very generic, you should ignore the position of the fan. Yes, both are upstream, I believe they are right next to the converters, and not very fun to get to, better if you have the 3.0. A huge 7/8 wrench will help, an o2 sensor socket would be better, but cost prohibitive.

Reply to
Michael O

"Michael O" wrote snip

Thanks, Michael. This helps.

Reply to
Caroline

Reply to
Ohio Tom

You can do it yourself if you have some tools. Buy or rent the special O2 socket. It has the slit in the side for the wires to come out of so you don't ruin them. The back sensor can been seen if you take off the right wheel and look up through the wheel well to the exhaust manifold. You will see four wires coming down into a plug off of it.

Your biggest problem will be if there stuck. you might need a breaker bar and patience.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ