Replacing O2 Sensor on 87 Ford Taurus

Has anyone here replaced the O2 sensor on a 1987 Ford Taurus 2.5L?
I need to know where it is. I am using the drawing at http://tinyurl.com/3ah4h (Autozone's site) but the drawing is confusing to me. The drawing shows what
looks like a propeller on the right. What is that really?
If I am standing at the front of the car, looking down, is the propeller-like thing on my right or my left? Between the engine and the front bumper or between the engine and the firewall?
Also, is the "front" of the engine on the left as one stands at the front of the car, looking down?
Any other hints on locating the oxygen sensor?
I am helping a relative do this from afar. I've done it on my Honda Civic straight-4 engine, but the V-6 design of the Taurus is throwing me off.

http://tinyurl.com/3ah4h
what
propeller-like
between
of the

That would be a cooling fan, yours is electric. If you have the replacement in hand, you should be able to find it by following the exhaust. you say you have a 2.5L, but the V-6's are 3.0 and 3.8 liters, and have two sensors. This may be a job you should hire out. Yes, the front of the engine is on your left, the back is bolted to the transmission.

We thought it was a symbol for the (yes, electric) cooling fan, too. The purpose of it we thought was to show drawing orientation.
But I don't know. It doesn't make complete sense to me.

You're right. My relative was mistaken. It's definitely a V-6, at least 3L.
I replaced the plug wires last February and remember six cylinders as well as the V-design.

Someone at rec.autos.tech said this, too. I am not finding confirmation of it in the manual or at Autozone's site but will keep my eyes peeled.
It's pre OBD-II, so do you mean two "upstream of the cat. converter" sensors?

Thanks on both counts. This is progress.
wrote

shows
or
front
Civic
off.
purpose
you
3L.
as
it in

sensors?
on
The orientation is very generic, you should ignore the position of the fan. Yes, both are upstream, I believe they are right next to the converters, and not very fun to get to, better if you have the 3.0. A huge 7/8 wrench will help, an o2 sensor socket would be better, but cost prohibitive.
snip

Thanks, Michael. This helps.
Nope, You are correct, The Taurus was available with a 2.5 HSC motor. Sort of a warmed up version of a Tempo 2.3 HSC motor. Coupled with the ATX 3 speed trans most of them crapped out pretty early because of the weight of the car. It would have the O2 between the exhaust manifold and converter, looks like a spark plug with wires coming off of it.. If not it is a 3.0L. Follow the pipes from the manifolds and you will find them (2) before the converter in that convoluted Y pipe.                 Tom
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:39:35 GMT, Caroline

Ohio Tom wrote:

You can do it yourself if you have some tools. Buy or rent the special O2 socket. It has the slit in the side for the wires to come out of so you don't ruin them. The back sensor can been seen if you take off the right wheel and look up through the wheel well to the exhaust manifold. You will see four wires coming down into a plug off of it.
Your biggest problem will be if there stuck. you might need a breaker bar and patience.
Bob