Retails Sales Ranking in California: 1) Toyota 2) Honda 3) Ford 4) Chevrolet

It is interesting that outside of Chevrolet and GMC none of the GM brands show up in the top 10.

Market share of top-selling auto brands in California in the second quarter

Toyota: 23.4%

Honda: 12.4%

Ford: 9.6%

Chevrolet: 8.2%

Nissan: 7.0%

Mercedes-Benz: 3.7%

BMW: 3.7%

Lexus: 3.6%

Dodge: 3.6%

GMC: 2.6%

Source: California Motor Car Dealers Assn.

Reply to
John Horner

Why? Buick, GMC, Pontiac, Caddy, Hummer, etc., are not that popular anywhere. They're not great sellers. Nothing new about this.

Jeff

Jeff

But Ford and Chevy combined outsell Honda so that proves that Ford and Chevy are better than Honda. All cars are the same now anyway. Only difference is style and price.

As soon as gas comes back down to 23 cents people will stop buying midget cars and go back to Tahoes and Hummers.

myc unt

PS: Ha ha you guys never notice my clever nym. Get it? ha ha, I laugh every time I sign it. You would never guess that I'm 73.

Reply to
Myc Unter

Well there are two GM brands in the top ten! Not all your brands can be top/volume sellers.

John Horner wrote:

Dave

Dave wrote in news:3XQEg.12845$Z1.11038@trnddc03:

Yeah, it's like splitting the votes. If you were to add up the percentages from all of the GM divisions -- Chevy, Pontiac, Cadillac, Buick, GMC, Saab, etc, then they will rank as good as Toyota or Honda.

Reply to
grappletech

But would you not then have to combine Toyota and Lexus - Honda and Acura - Nisan and Infinity ?

Jack

Reply to
Jack G

Not really. Chevy got 8.2%. GMC got 2.6%. Buick, Pontiac, Saturn and Saab all clearly had lower numbers still. Let's be generous and guess that BPSS got 5% between themselves. 8.2 + 2.6 + 5 = 15.8%. Toyota is at 23.4. Toyota is so far ahead of the pack that there is no way GM comes even close even if GM's BPSS brands pulled in 10% share (HAH!).

Also you would have to add Toyota + Lexus to be fair. Honda was at

12.4% without Acura. Maybe GM in total bested Honda + Acura, but if so it wasn't by much. As far as product and sales effort efficiency Honda has GM beaten by a wide margin in California. Honda has relatively few models and they are all strong sellers. GM has strong selling trucks and a passel of also-ran cars, minivans and crossovers.

If California is an indicator of things to come nationally then GM, Ford and Chrysler remain in deep trouble.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Some things are noticed but not commented on.

John

Reply to
John Horner

It proves that there are still farmers in this fertile land and they need trucks.

Exactly! Nicole Kidman and your frigid grandmother are basically the same. The only difference is in style (or lack of such) and the cost of acquisition, maintenance, etc. Not sure how enjoyable ride they are though. Maybe ask your granddad?

Reply to
sndive

What I find shocking is that the combined sales of Merceeds, BMW, and Lexus are 11% of the market. To me that indicates that Californians really do have more money than sense - which is probably why Toyota's sell so well there.

Ed

C. E. White

The buyers of trucks who have such a need shrunk to about 50% of the truck market during the course of the truck boom. Now the truck market is rapidly shrinking back to those who have a real need for them. Said farmers are going to have their pick of nice used trucks which never saw much work beyond commuting to the office.

John

Reply to
John Horner

There is surely a whole lot of money being spent to drive around here in CA!

John

Reply to
John Horner

Looks like they are right on the mark when they call California the land of fruits and nuts ;)

mike

Mike Hunter

Acording to the orgiantl poster the figures represented were for car sales, not total vehicle sales. Around half of the vehicles sold in the US are light trucks. GM, Ford and Chrysler sell far more light trucks than any import.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Does GMC sell a lot of cars, Mike? Obviously, the figures are for combined vehicle sales.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Why?

Because they like different cars than you, they are nuts? Are people who use Macs nuts, because you use Outlook Express and Windows.?

Jeff

Jeff

Not true at all. This was for total retail light vehicle sales. I am the original poster.

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
John Horner

Ever heard of 'the suitcase test'?

If you had a suitcase with $20,000, what would you go buy? Well, not a ford by any means. A toyota? Better build quality, Japanese reliability....same with Honda vehicles. BMW's are over-priced, as are Mercs. Honda or Toyota are best for the simple sensible man with not much cash to spare in the long run.

Reply to
David R

That may be your opinion but one can drive home a new nicely equipped V8 Crown Vic, or a Grand Marquis, for 20K or less. You will spend a lot more than 20K to drive home a smaller, similarly equipped V6. Accord or Camry and the CV and GM are better all around vehicles. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ford Crown Victoria 2007 Base Price: $25,310-$28,305. Mercury Marquis 2007 Base Price: $25,580-$30,235.

Yeah, that's $20,000 or less.

Why do you write here? Why do you embarrass yourself?

It's right up there with "I did not have sex with that woman" or "I promise no new taxes."

Reply to
Bob Palmer