Rise of the Minivan

(Car Lust Blog) - The minivan we all know and love (or loathe) today did not simply pop into existence. The story of how the North American minivan came
to be is actually a long and complicated one, wrapped up in the story of vans and commercial vehicles in general, with a few twists and turns along the way...
Continued: http://sn.im/RiseMinivan

For practical purposes in much of the world it was the VW van that got things going in the 1960s for smaller vans. Interesting that VW moved to the Chrysler van last year, but not surprisingly they didn't sell very well in VW dealerships.
Today the Chrysler van has to be one of the best van deals out there.
but you have to buy a routan (town and country) to get people on the street to punch each other in the arm.......

If you don't want a high-priced riceburner it's pretty much the only deal out there.

FWIW, my van history (all purchased new). The first two were still running strong when traded. 1984 Dodge Caravan LE (200,000+ miles) 1997 Dodge Caravan ES (170,000+ miles) 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (currently 24,000 miles)
BTW, that URL isn't loading at this moment.
http://www.carlustblog.com/2010/05/the-rise-of-the-minivan.html
works for me

I saw my first "Minivan" when I was in France in the late 1970's. It was a Toyota "Hi Ace" working as an ambulance. It was 1983 when I saw a Toyota minivan in the US. The Chrysler minivans soon followed.
KM

The first non-VW minivan I became aware of was the 1958 DKW Schnellaster my dad drove as a work truck back in the sixties. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the-mother-of-all-modern-minivans-1949-dkw-schnellaster / The second mini-van I became aware of was the 1960 envoy/bedford (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49324777@N00/1647409 my dad bought from the local hardware store (was their appliance service vehicle)
A young farm-hand by the name of Enos Gerber that boarded with us on the farm near Poole Ontario in 1954 owned the first VW microbus I ever saw .

FWIW: Bought a used 1961 VW Minivan in 1964. Like all VWs of the period
they required almost continuous maintance, so I got to see a fair number
On Tue, 11 May 2010 20:30:50 -0400, Wilson

A full-sized '63 chevy van??? You mean a Kurbmaster??? The "Chevy Van" came out in 1965/66
On Wed, 12 May 2010 00:19:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sorry - it was 1964 model year for the first G10 - available with the Chevy 2 4 banger or the 194 6, with the 230 becoming available mid-year? Prior to the G10 (1963 year and earlier) there was only the CorVan (Glenbrier) and the Kurbmaster/StepVan

Your question is still good. I mistyped. The year was 1973 and it had a
small block 350 cu V8.