Rising Sun - it's a GOOD thing!

Page 1 of 2
Bloomberg News http://snipurl.com/1jjyo
Foreign automakers are creating [US] jobs, investing in new [US] plants and winning friends in Congress...the economic benefits are being felt
in smaller, once-rural communities, especially in the South, in places like Canton, Miss. (Nissan Motor Co.); Greer, S.C. (Bayerische Motoren Werke AG); West Point, Ga. (Kia Motors Corp.); and Montgomery, Ala. (Hyundai Motor Co.)
Toyota in February said it will build its next assembly plant in Tupelo, Miss http://snipurl.com/1jk4e
"These towns have good skilled work forces and the people value the jobs," said Mike Stanton, who heads the AIAM http://snipurl.com/1jk3r - The UAW has failed in every effort to organize U.S. workers at the foreign-owned auto plants, helping to keep labor costs from ballooning as they have in Detroit.
In addition to passing GM in unit sales on a worldwide basis, Toyota is poised to steam past Ford in the U.S. to become No. 2. After that, the big milestone for Toyota will be to grab the No. 1 spot in the U.S. Toyota now has a bit less than 16 percent of the U.S. market, GM a bit less than 23 percent. If current trends continue, Toyota could be No. 1 in the U.S. within five years.
Add pictures here
✖
Good idea???
message

In additon to all that damage to working Americns, the corperate profits all go back to Japan, tax free, to be made up by the working wives of the laidoff domestic plant workers and the Americas who paid way too much for their cheaper to build Jap car, go figure
mike
Add pictures here
✖
Mike Hunter wrote:

Which is very similar to American Corps taxes by way of phony offshore offices.
Add pictures here
✖
Poor pay, no benefits; but at least these foreign automakers are keeping some jobs in the US. Contrast that with the massive exportation of jobs, at which our own corporations excel. From customer service to manufacturing, from clerical tasks to the most sophisticated R&D, it's all going to places where people are paid 1/10th the US wages and work 80 hours a week. When was the last time you bought an electronic product manufactured or even designed in the US? Look close and check where most of the components for your Ford, Chrysler or Chevy came from -- or even for Boeing's airplanes for that matter. But can you really blame the corporations? Isn't all this driven by the consumers' voracious appetite for a newer and better $200 flat screen TV or a free cell phone upgrade every year, while at the same time demanding higher dividends on the corporate stock that they (=we) own?

Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 7 May 2007 12:05:06 -0700, "Happy Traveler"

All can be solved by two actions.
Kick liberals out of education (or make education competitive).
Implement the 'Fair Tax' http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer?pagename «out_main
Those two actions would solve all the 'problems'.
Corporations would beat a door to our country.
Our children would be educated and ready for all the jobs that would stream back to America.

--

Scott in Florida

Add pictures here
✖
One of the greatest problems facing this county today is not lack of jobs, but lack of workers capable of even being trained to do the jobs that are available. Harder yet to get them come to work as scheduled and stay till the end of the shift.
The fact is even with the unemployment rate at an historic low, there a literally millions of job going unfilled in the US. My one son works for the Department of Labor in a state on the east coast where there are five jobs available for every three qualified workers available. Corporations are not willing to come into the state and those in the state are unable to expand, that's sad.
Another problem is somebody is sending a check to those that will not work, that is unconscionable
mike

Add pictures here
✖

✖
Jeff wrote:

All of Intel's newest CPUs, the Core2 series, are made either locally here in AZ or in Ireland. BTW, the country of manufacture printed on the chip is where the chip was tested and packaged, not where its wafer was actually made.
Add pictures here
✖
It is ALL about American consumer greed. Why do some feel it is OK, and not greedy, for the American consumer to send their own, their children's, and grand children's jobs overseas by buying import brands, and NOT OK for manufactures to take advantage of the same lower costs of offshore operations, to compete with imports to stay in business, and save some of their American jobs?
What imports will one buy when their employer moves overseas? The only thing their children we need to know is how to say, 'Welcome to WalMart or 'Do you want fries with that?' if we soon do not wise up.
I stopped buy imported cars in 1999 and try to buy products made in the US, by tax paying America corporations, or better yet made in states where I pay taxes, whenever I can. We Americans should be as smart as the Jap consumers, they buy from their own manufactures first to protect their own economy, even if imported products are cheaper
mike

Add pictures here
✖
Mike Hunter wrote:

Middle class can't win can they? If they vote democrat they are anti-market and if they choose the best product for the money they are greedy. Interesting logic.

Ever see film of whales herding anchovies? It the right wing corporate "New World Order" materializing before your eyes. What are middle class or retired citizens to do if not shop at WalMart? Wise up? LOL, there's been been a downward pressure on wages and increased hidden taxes for the last 30 years. Taken a look at CEO salaries lately?

Good for you. Do you check closely to see which corporations have offshore business's?

Corporations have no patriotism and they are going where labor is cheaper. America is in decline.
Add pictures here
✖
ALL a result of American consumer greed. Obviously you agree that American consumer apparently are willing to send their own, their children's, and grand children's jobs overseas by buying import brands, to take advantage of the lower costs of offshore operations
mike

Add pictures here
✖
Mike Hunter wrote:

You bring new meaning to twisted logic.

"Obviously" you drank vast quantities of spiked KoolAid and all you can do is recite nonsense. Corporations follow cheap labor. Conservatives and some liberals (like Clinton with NAFTA) make sure they have it. How cheap? Never cheap enough. Many of the jobs that went to Mexico are now leaving Mexico for China. Those stupid Mexicans were just too greedy to keep the there. Right? Sheesh! What we've had for the last 12 years or so is government by lobbyists and people who hate government and they aren't finished with America yet. Not by a long shot.
"My goal is to cut government in half in twenty-five years," to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub."
Grover Norquist
Add pictures here
✖

Actually, Mike's a troll.
PDNFTT.
Jeff
Add pictures here
✖
Anybody with an opining that differs from that of our friend Jeff's, is labeled a troll LOL
mike

Add pictures here
✖

those folks living on Honshu, Kyushu and Hokkaido? Jap is a pejorative term, and hasn't been used by educated people in fifty years or more. As for not buying imported cars since 1995, I might agree. I've got a car for you, made of largely American components (the radio-cd player is made by Delco, in Indiana or Ohio I think), they are made from suppliers' parts 77 of whom are US suppliers. The bodies are stamped out and assembled and painted and finished right here in a State of the United States. Ok? Sound good?
It's a Toyota Camry, or Toyota Avalon, or Toyota Solara, and they're made in Georgetown, KY.
But I suppose you'd rather get a Canadian Ford or a Mexican Buick, right?
Add pictures here
✖
I could not care less what you call them. I have an Engineering degree and graduated in the top of my class, when I was in the Navy in WWII we called them Japs.
Over 80% of the vehicles sold by GM and Ford are made in the US. Toyota only assembles cars in the US, of mostly imported materials and parts, not matter what their advertising tries to suggest. The profits they make on everything they sell here is returned, federal corporate tax free, to Japan. Over half of what they sell in the US, are made outside of the US. Do you really believe a Camry made in Japan, that has a sticker on the window that says 70% North American parts, actually has 70% North American parts? If you do I have a bridge I can sell you cheap.
Toyota starting saying how much money they spend on parts only after the FTC made them stop asserting their cars were Made in America. Toyota doesn't tell you the amount they spend in the US is dwarfed by what is spent by GM and Ford. Search the US Department of Commerce site for the truth of what is made in the US and what is not, WBMA
mike

Add pictures here
✖
Those Content Stickers that Toyota, Nissan, Ford, GM, et al, put on the window of the cars and trucks they sell are required by the United States government, and the facts they purport to present are required to meet certain guidelines. If the guidelines are met, the sticker goes on. You might not like the guidelines, but the data is not dreampt up by the automakers.
If you want to Buy American, and the sticker says you are buying American, then you can be sure that you are in fact buying American, no matter what is stamped on the grille and trunk lid. That is, you are buying American for the purposes of the guidelines established by the US government.

Add pictures here
✖
The sticker does not mean the US, it means north America. Many of the parts that come from Canada are merely assembled there of imported components, to qualify as NA parts. The parts in Toyotas assembly only plants are stamped of steel that came from Japan to qualify as NA parts. Final assembly of imported parts qualifies them a NA parts as well. They are only smoke and mirrors American parts. ;)
mike

Add pictures here
✖
Yes, so what?
The problem isn't what Toyota says, the problem is what the US government allows them to say. Your tone is that Toyota is engaged in smoke and mirrors, my argument is that the smoke and mirror defines the playing field and Toyota is merely playing the game. The issue, therefore, is whom is creating the smoke and mirrors. Toyota is no different than any other multi-national operating in the USA, they are no different than the Big Three. Indeed, the American operations of Toyota do pay taxes on American operations and they pay wages to US workers.

Add pictures here
✖

✖