Rough idle on '99 Escort

Hi, everyone. I just picked up a 1999 Escort Wagon as my commuter car (70 mi/day round trip). Nice car, in generally good condition (only

45k), with one issue I'd like to resolve. The car idles roughly at full stop, at street lights. It only does this in "drive" - if I shift into neutral, it quiets down. I just replaced the air filter, which did not help this issue. Any insights?

-Steven-

Reply to
Steve

This is pretty common on these cars. You probably feel it in the steering wheel pretty bad, right? It's not really a rough idle, it's engine vibration resonating through the body. There is a procedure that calls for loosening the motor mounts and exhaust then rocking the motor to "neutralize" the mounts. There are also updated mounts and an exhaust counterweight available. I don't recall if the concern was ever actually fixed but these two things would greatly lessen the vibration. Check with the Ford dealer for the TSB numbers.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Every 2.0 97 and up Escort I've seen with the Automatic transmission does that. The Manual doesn't do it because the idle speed is a bit higher and there's no strain on the engine with the clutch disengaged.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Just replaced the PCV valve on my 98. Now have a smooth idle back. Not all Escorts have rough idles.

Reply to
Jack Westmoreland