running boards

I am very interested in how the ford expedition running board work...I am thinking about customize my running board on my 99 villager so they act the same way....when the doors open they come on.. " they should only come on
when the door is open"
Can anyone tell me how to wire them so they work like an expedition 's running board
Bigi
Tap into the same circuit that operates when your doors are open.