S Code DOHC in a Taurus SHO?

There seem to be a lot of 96-99 Taurus SHO's with bad engines, thanks to a less than desireable cam design. What would it take to replace that engine with a 3.0L S Code DOHC engine from a Taurus LX? Is this a reasonable swap? Maybe I'm dreaming, but it seems like it could possibly work.

Reply to
Steve J

A LOT.

You might as well go with a 4.6 from a Continental.

It has been done.

Either way, you would need an entire donor vehicle from the dash & firewall forward, & then some... eg.: the SHO has a different, & larger, fuel tank than the 3.0 cars.

Lots of good reading here:

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

A Continental over a T-Bird. Got me curious.

Reply to
F.H.

why not a crown vic

Reply to
Picasso

A Continental is already Front Wheel Drive... AND MORE, it's a Taurus, right down to the front subframe/engine cradle(same part number even). The easiest way to do this switch is to leave the 4.6 engine & transaxle(a heavy-duty AX4N/4F50N) intact, & swap the entire cradle.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

A Continental is already Front Wheel Drive... AND MORE, it's a Taurus, right down to the front subframe/engine cradle(same part number even). The easiest way to do this switch is to leave the 4.6 engine & transaxle(a heavy-duty AX4N/4F50N) intact, & swap the entire cradle.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Thanks, did not know that.