'S' reg KA 1400 Clutch - Cable or Hydraulic ?

Hi,

Having difficulty engaging 1st and Reverse gears. Others seem fine. I can't get into the garage till next wednesday so I wondered if there was anything I might tweak to get it usable till then.... I did ask a mechanic who then asked back the above question.

gandalf