Sable Transmission Problem?

I have a 1998 Mercury Sable with 89K miles. Driving along at about 10 mph, it suddenly went into nuetral and stop responding to the gear shifter. Would this be a wire somewhere or a serious transmission
issue? Where would I look for the simple fixes??
The car has had its trans fluid changed every 20K...