Scored a pair of 289's

A friend had two engines stored in a garage for some time. One is basically a complete engine, the other is a block and heads. The complete engine has a points distributor. At this time, the only
casting number I can locate is on the intake manifold: C60E 8425A. Can someone please identify the year of manufacture for me?
Thanx!
Now all I have to do is locate a rebuild kit!!
C6 indicates a 1966 part number, which should narrow down your search. Good luck
Frank

News==----
Newsgroups
Your help is greatly appreciated!! The search is on. BTW, the engine is slated to go into my 79 Pinto hatchback - FINALLY!!
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:03:35 -0400, "Frank from Deeeetroit"

A 289 in a Pinto, sounds like fun. Build a sleeper for killing riceboy hondas and those silly Stupidru WRX's. A note-worthy project indeed.

I drove a car with a 60's 289 (non HP) for several years. It's a great engine. Easy to work on and bulletproof. But it certainly is not a scooby-doo WRX STI killer. If you build it up before you shoehorn it in, it could be though. And the 289 can do it without 15 pounds of boost like the scooby. Just trying to prevent an embarrassing defeat for the blue oval.
OP: I would love to see a website with a few photos once you get semi- finished.
Rodney

289s are great little engines. They can rev all day long. There are people who build 289s that rev to 10 grand, and live with 10 grand shifts all season.
A stock 289 bottom end should be safe to about 7 grand, then slap on a pair of aftermarket aluminum heads (I've heard the AFR 165s are good, maybe the 205s if you wanna have it rev out the wazoo). Then top it off with a good intake, the Stealth is good to about 6.5-7 grand, go single plane for more top end. And of course pick a cam appropriate to the RPM range of the rest of your combination.
The biggest bottleneck on a small block Ford is the heads, so keep that in mind when doing your build.
"Pinto"
Shayne, how dare you use foul language on the forum? - lol.
Good luck on your rebuild. I have always had a love/hate thing with the Pinto but never Man enough to actually go out and buy one I guess.
--
_________________________________
http://austinmini.ositech.net

News==----
Newsgroups
snipped-for-privacy@gtcom.net says...

The C6 in the part number indicates that 1966 was the first year it was used, and they switched over to all 302's in, umm, was it '69 (?). That should narrow it down a bit.
Good luck on the Pinto. I saw it done once, the guy turned the exhaust manifolds upside down and switched sides to make it fit. Or maybe you can cut into the shock towers. Be judicious with the throttle, as the stock diff wasn't designed for anywhere near that much torque.
says...

In '68 the 302 replaced the 289 for nearly all vehicles. I think Mustangs still had the 289. In '69 the 289 was totally gone.
I believe Pintos came with a 7.5" differential, the Pinto wagons came with the 8" rear end, which is plenty strong for a V-8 conversion.
Frank
says...

Standard rearend was actually a 6.5.... This conversion will probably take some time to finish, as money and work are constantly getting in my way. At least I finally have a powerplant to work with!
I guess I'll be looking for a C-4 to replace my C-3, a better rear, ignition system, etc...
Naturally, photos will be required!
Thanx to all, though, for the assist, hints and ideas!
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:45:25 -0400, "Frank from Deeeetroit"

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:43:39 -0500, Shayne Jenkins

One limiting factor on transmissions on 289's is whether the block is 5 or 6 bolt for the bell housing pattern. The early production was 5 bolts. If your block is a C6 p/n, it should be 6 bolt allowing you to use any late small block trans. For the 289, the C4 is probably preferable because of the upgrades available.
snipped-for-privacy@gtcom.net says...

What diff did they use in the Mustang II? Just thinking out loud, you would have to check, but could it be a possible transplant?
C4 was a pretty good trans with lots of good aftermarket goodies available. Be sure to get a good intermediate band, as repeated full-power shifts can peel the lining, especially if you have beefed the engine. I turned a couple of C4's into 2-speeds that way back in the day ;-)
IIRC, the HEI systems from later 302's are nearly a drop-in replacement with not much wiring.