Screw size for EGR valve

I have bought a new EGR from NAPA a few days ago for my 1994 Ford Taurus Wagon 3.8. When I went to replace the unit it appears on the old unit there is a small metal tube going from the EGR to some sort of electrical device presumably to measure pressue. The instructions say to take the old one off and put it on the new unit. Unfortutely the torx screw is very small and the torx bit just strips it. It is like a M3 size tapered bolt. Very small. I called ford and they want $45 dollars for this small 1 1/2 tube and presumably the bolt. What I thought I would try to do is grind the screw off to remove the tube and then replace the screw with a new one. I have been to

6 hardwares and auto parts places none can find the screw size or have a screw to replace it. I called ford and they "said" that they dont know what the size is. Can anyone tell me the size of this screw so that I can phone around and find out who might have it at specialty screw shops. A M3 will fit but the depth of the thread seems not quite right.

Does anyone have a definitive size. Barring this I will have to tap a new size that I can get. Which seems rather extreem but perhaps the only final solution.

Regards steve

7willie
Reply to
steve

I have tried metric and while M3 sort of works you can tell its not quite right. I even went to the worlds biggest screw warehouse and they could not mach it. He says maybe its a 5/40 imperial.

What I have learned I will record here for all those that will need to replace the EGR tube on these king of cars, and have the same problem. The scew part number from ford is ~~N803837-S36. I tried to order it for $4 dollars (thats right $4 for a screw). However parts guys say that this part is no longer available. Most will at that point push you away and tell you to beat it. I found one however that has had mechanics ask about this part (surely there must be 100's of them who want this one unusual screw to replace the EGR tube) and he says that the part has been replaced with part number N83837-S2. I have ordered the part and will see if this will work.

Steve

7willie
Reply to
steve