Scum Bag Lawyer Win Big in Explorer Rollover Case - Ford agrees to settle some rollover cases

It this wasn't so sad, it would be funny. When will we change the laws so scum scking bottom feederscan't get away with crap like this? Ford should be ashamed for paying off the crooked lawyers. As for the Customers, well, I suppose if you want a Ford, the "certificate" is worth something.

-------

Ford agrees to settle some rollover cases

Reuters November 29, 2007 - 12:01 am ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co. has agreed to settle class-action litigation covering plaintiffs in four states who claimed its Explorer sport utility vehicles were prone to rollovers, Ford said on Wednesday.

"From Ford's position, we believe the settlement is fair and reasonable and in the best in interests of our customers and our shareholders," Ford spokeswoman Kristen Kinley said.

A preliminary approval hearing was scheduled for Monday, Kinley said, but declined to estimate the cost to Ford.

The settlement applies to about 1 million people in California, Connecticut, Illinois and Texas, according to the Associated Press, which cited Kevin Roddy, a New Jersey attorney and co-counsel for the SUV owners who brought the lawsuit.

The attorney, who could not immediately be reached, told the AP that the settlement would be filed later on Wednesday in Sacramento County Superior Court. It will allow vehicle owners to apply for $500 vouchers to buy new Explorers or $300 vouchers to buy other Ford or Lincoln Mercury products.

The settlements apply to Explorers from model years 1991 through 2001, Roddy said in the report.

Reply to
Ed White

So the plaintives get $300-$500 each. How many millions does the lawyer get?

You know what I wonder? After scumbag lawyers like John Edwards score big on class action suits, why do they go back to work? It would seem at some point they would have accumulated enough money even for their bloated lifestyles. Maybe it's for their future... when their trophy wife decides she wants a divorce. It's getting where $100 million just doesn't go as far these days.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Edwards is living quite a lifestyle at the expense of his political supporters. He would need to spend some of his own otherwise. The more important aspect to him is the position of power to which he aspires. Even if he doesn't get there, he will live quite well at others expense in the mean time.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

The best part is, they won NOTHING, other than the opportunity to spend more money with FORD!!!

LMFAO!!!

It will allow vehicle owners to apply for $500 vouchers to buy new Explorers or $300 vouchers to buy other Ford or Lincoln Mercury products.

How is this a bad thing for Ford?

:-)

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

The Customers won nothing....the millions of dollars the scum suckers got has not been disclosed (probably won't be). This is the sort of legal lottery that our government must stop.

Crooked Lawyers create a class out unhappy people, sue a big company, get millions, and settle the suit so that the Customer gets some sort of stupid rebate or less (see Split Fire Spark Plug Class Action Lawsuit, UPS Shipping Charges Class Action Lawsuit, DRAM Memory Class Action Lawsuit, Nationwide Insurance Class Action Lawsuit, etc.). I get 2 or 3 letters agree from bottom feeder trying to have me sign on as a Class Member so they can bring one of these bogus lawsuits. So far I've got nothing of value, while the lawyers that bring the lawsuits rake in millions.

This particular lawsuit is the most ridiculous one yet. The "Class" in this case weren't people that were actually injured directly by Ford, or their Explorers - it was brought on behalf of people who merely owned one. I can't imagine the basis of the claim. Maybe it was something like - I am a soccer mom who is incompetent to drive and a Ford dealer sold me a top heavy SUV? Or maybe the "Class" was people who blamed Ford because the press manufacturer a story from a pack of lies and half truths and made me worry a lot. Or maybe the "Class" was a bunch of people who were convinced they could get a lot of money if they would sign up for this bogus lawsuit.

Totally disgusting. And if you think John Edwards or Hillary Clinton or any of the other scum sucking lawyer who are running this country (or want to run it) are going to fix this, you are living in lala land.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

How about citing some of the Edwards cases (Hillary is not involved in class action of malpractice). In the meantime, not all of these lawyers make it to happy ever after in "lala land."

News item: September 20 2007: 7:27 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A federal grand jury in Los Angeles has indicted prominent class-action lawyer and Milberg Weiss co-founder Melvyn Weiss for conspiring to make illegal payments to plaintiffs in more than 250 lawsuits that generated $250 million in attorneys' fees for the firm, the government said Thursday.

And from todays news:

Attorney Richard F. "Dickie" Scruggs once vowed to use his expertise, stature and money to fight the insurance industry's alleged mishandling of homeowners' claims after Hurricane Katrina.

But now he may be fighting for his freedom.

This week, the lawyer was indicted by a federal grand jury, accused of attempting to bribe a state judge presiding over a lawsuit involving millions of dollars in legal fees. He and four other defendants, including his lawyer son, could face up to 75 years in prison if convicted.

F.H.

settlement would be filed later on Wednesday in

$500 vouchers to buy new Explorers or $300 vouchers to

The attorneys get 100 million in attorney's "fees" while those affected by the suit get a measly $500.00 coupon good only toward the purchase of another Ford vehicle, What a deal ! Are we still in America ?

Reply to
Shawn

attempting to bribe a state judge presiding over a lawsuit

including his lawyer son, could face up to 75 years in

I think they deserve the firing squad.

Reply to
Shawn

attempting to bribe a state judge presiding over a lawsuit

including his lawyer son, could face up to 75 years in

You and Shakespeare.

Reply to
F.H.

This didn't used to be true. I got a free Panasonic computer CDROM burner due to a class action. The problem was a bad carriage design in the original drive, that caused pretty much all of them to fail after a year or so. Without the class action I would have gotten nothing. Of course, the other part of this was that I had bought my Panasonic drive used from some jerk on Ebay who lied about it working. To collect on the settlement you just submitted the serial number of the drive, so I got the last laugh. A few years later the new CD burner died which pretty much solidified my decision to never buy a piece of Panasonic computer gear again.

Agreed. The remedy in this case was stupid and meaningless. And it is true also that it's consistent with current class action lawsuits, which basically end up giving the customer nothing.

The law needs to be changed so that future class actions cannot be settled either in or out of court with coupons or vouchers. They must be settled with cash payments to the customers the class is setup for. That would cause the companies that are sued to actually put some legal muscle into defending themselves which would discourage these kinds of filings in the first place as the attourneys that filed them would lose in the courtroom.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

My HP 4020i SCSI burner is still going as strong as ever. Almost thirteen years old it only records at 2X & when I bought it new ($1,300) CDRW wasn't even a word. The only real use for it now is a conversation piece since it has so much sedemendal value. Hell, the last one & saw on EBAY a year or so ago sold for $5.00 (260 times less than what I paid for mine) but I still have the original sales receipt & I still remember counting over the hundred dollar bills to Compusa in

1995.
Reply to
Shawn

Groan - don't remind me! Some of my wonnerful computer purchases from many years ago:

$89 for a 300 baud modem $115 for a Zoom 9600 bps fax modem $199 for a USR Courier 33.k modem $70 for a CGA card $600 for a XT motherboard, CPU and ram $100 for a 10 MB MFM hard disk

Contrast that to my year 2007 Black Friday purchase of a HP Pavilion laptop with 1GB ram, DVD burner & 160GB disk all standard, for a sum total of $450.

I'll probably be complaining about that last one 20 years from now... ;-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I still miss my $275.00 Seagate ST-225 20 M hard drive I bought from "hard drives international" through the mail in 1988.

Reply to
Shawn