Securilock & Keys

My father (a 77 year old) has a 2004 Escape that when locked using the remote control, cannot be unlocked and started using any keys he has - although he can unlock then doors. The only way he can start the vehicle is if the remote is used to open the door locks.

When he asked the dealer about it he was told "that's the way it is" and that if the remote was lost or malfunctioning he would "just disable the remote" - I don't know what that means but I'm sure it's not trivial for a

77 year old who is in a jam.

My reading of the manual suggests that there is a problem with the programming setup on the keys he has. Should there not be at least one key that can start the vehicle after the Securilock system has been activated from the remote?

Reply to
Sympatico News

If the doors are locked with the remote from outside the car, the key should be able to open the door and disable the alarm. One thing the manual does mention is to be sure to move the key through the "full range of travel" while unlocking the door. Once the door is unlocked, the Escape should start normally. If it doesn't, there is a problem, and you should bring it back to the dealer and show him what it does and the section in the manual that deals with that (page 67 or so). The manual also says that if there is a problem, be sure to bring all keys and remotes with you. Good luck!

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom