Securilock keys/ transponder keys

I want to buy a couple of extra transponder keys for my Ford Freestyle. I?ve seen Ford transponder keys on Ebay, but they?re advertised to be for certain models (e.g., Fird Expedition, 2001-2005, etc, etc.). My question is this: Will these keys work in my Freestyle (assuming it?s cut for my car)?

If not, does anybody know where I can buy these transponder keys for better than dealer prices?

Thanks, Rocky

Reply to
rockyrr

My Honda has a procedure in the owner's manual for programming new keys. The Ford does not. I don't know if programming is a dealer-only item.

Reply to
dold

My Escape has the procedure in the Owner's Manual:

Programming spare keys A maximum of eight keys can be coded to your vehicle. Only

SecuriLocky keys can be used. To program a coded key yourself, you

will need two previously programmed coded keys (keys that already

operate your vehicle's engine) and the new unprogrammed key(s) readily

accessible for timely implementation of each step in the procedure.

If two previously programmed coded keys are not available, you must

bring your vehicle to your dealership to have the spare coded key(s)

programmed.

Please read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

Locks and Security

  1. Insert the first previously

programmed coded key into the

ignition and turn the ignition from 2

(ACC) to 3 (RUN) (maintain

ignition in 3 (RUN) for at least one

second).

  1. Turn ignition to 1 (LOCK) and

remove the first coded key from

the ignition.

  1. Within ten seconds of turning the

ignition to 2 (ACC), insert the second previously programmed coded

key into the ignition and turn the ignition from 2 (ACC) to 3 (RUN)

(maintain ignition in 3 (RUN) for at least one second but no more than

ten seconds).

  1. Turn the ignition to 1 (LOCK) and remove the second coded key

from the ignition.

  1. Within 20 seconds of turning the ignition to 2 (ACC), insert the new

unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition and turn the

ignition from 2 (ACC) to 3 (RUN) (maintain ignition in 3 (RUN) for at

least one second). This step will program your new key to a coded key.

  1. To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), repeat this

procedure from step 1.

If successful, the new coded key(s) will start the vehicle's engine and the

theft indicator will illuminate for three seconds and then go out.

If not successful, the new coded key(s) will not start the vehicle's engine

and the theft indicator will flash on and off and you may repeat steps 1

through 6. If failure repeats, bring your vehicle to your dealership to

have the new spare key(s) programmed.

Reply to
SC Tom

If you have two Ford keys already programmed, you can program subsequent keys yourself. If you only have one, you have to take the car to a Ford dealer (or a very well-equipped locksmith) to get more keys programmed.

The blank keys can be cut the same as your existing keys by any locksmith.

Search ebay for 'Ford Freestyle Key', there are two available right now (about 8 hours left on those auctions).

I have bought keys from ebay for my Ford Focus and programmed them myself.

Reply to
Mark Olson

There are several different "flavours" of Ford PATs keys. The programming procedure (if you have two programmed keys available) are straightforward and spelled out in the owners manual. It is important, though, to choose the correct key blank for the application.... Our dealer tech website is down for it's weekly housekeeping so I'm not much help on choosing the right blank at this time.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Jim Warman

Since Ford is polite enough to make the Owner's Guide available as a pdf, and I already have it on my laptop, I should have looked. I thought ... I remembered ... Yep. Remote transmitter reprogramming is in there, but for the keys: "If you lose your dealer supplied keys, replacement keys are available through your authorized dealer."

The Ford 500 guide has a key reprogramming section. The standard Ford Escape has a key reprogramming section. My 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid does not... go figure.

Most importantly for the original poster, the Freestar has the procedure.

Reply to
dold