Seized Caliper Mount

One of the caliper mounts on my Sable won't "accordian" in, therefore I can't install new brake pads. I tried compressing it with a 4" clamp and broke the cast frame of the clamp! I tried tapping it with a hammer, then hitting it harder, then finally bashing it but it remains fully extended. This is the mounting bolt with the rubber casing, not the caliper itself. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

? The two mounting bolts are screwed into a rubber sleeve assembly that's supposed to compress and then retract as the pads wear. I can't compress the one of the sleeves. The other one compressed no problem.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Something seems to be lost in the translation. Those two "Pins" need to be removed, then the calliper is removed to change the pads. These pins will have a hex or allen fitting embedded in the end of the pins. Then they just screw out like bolts (with the proper tool). Are you saying that you have the proper tool to unscrew the pin and its stuck? Are they both stuck?. Once the pins are out, you pry one end of the calliper out of the cast mount and it should come out.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

Doug opined in news:Xns95E29B9F44788dougblairattundradot@207.107.250.115:

go to junkyard, get another

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Cracked a C-clamp? Bashed it with a hammer...

Something is definately wrong. Check the Haynes manual? They are always pretty good for tear-down and rebuild.

Matt

Reply to
sleepdog

"BOB URZ" wrote

Sounds like we're working on rear discs here. I think they're mounted differently, with bolts from the backside.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news:1106106749.784839.144410 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

The Haynes manual doesn't say anything about this. BTW, it's a 97 Sable and it's rear disc brakes we're talking about. Two mounting bolts hold the caliper assembly in place. Replacing the pads is simple, or at least should be. Once the bolts are remover the caliper slides off the rotor and the pads simply slide into plade in the remaining brake housing. Then the caliper needs to be compressed, and the mounting bolt assemblies need to be compressed so the caliper slide back in place over the new pads. Maybe going to the scrap yard and getting a replacement caliper assembly is the solution. I thought maybe someone had experienced this before and had a simple solution.

Thanks, Doug

Reply to
Doug

Ok Doug, Now we know the type of mounting you have. The caliper mounts to the slide (the part with the bellows) and the slide fits into the caliper mount, correct?. The slide is siezed. You may have to heat it slightly to get it out. Replace BOTH slides, and clean\lube both bores. This is fairly common on Taurus\Sable. Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I'm confused - do you mean you need to seat the caliper piston into the caliper bore? If so, you need a caliper adjusting tool to rotate the piston clockwise to mount the new pads for clearance on the rotor. The old C-clamp on the rear brakes won't do it - the piston won't move. Be sure to adjust the position of the piston so one of the notches on its face will align with the tab on the inner brake pad backing plate. If you are good - and don't particularly need skin on your knuckles - you can rotate the piston with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Unca' Bob

Reply to
Unca' Bob

I used the pliers once but now have the $8 tool that you can get at sears. Also pumping the breaks 50 times is supposed to relieve the system pressure, allowing the piston to be rotated in easier.

Matt

Reply to
sleepdog

Tom Adkins wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Tom, Sounds like you described the slide correctly. How does one remove the slide? Is it screwed in? It doesn't appear to be? And there's no head that would accept a wrench. I guess vice grips would do the trick, but is that really what I should do? Thanks, Doug

Reply to
Doug

Yes, vise grips and probably heat. If you broke a C-clamp, vise grips alone probably won't do it. Soak it good with penetrant over a couple of days. If it won't move heat it. It may be easier to remove the entire bracket and find a used one. Yours seems to be stuck pretty good. The slide should slide in and out of the bracket freely. Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Tom Adkins opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Like I said...go to the junkyard and get another bracket. the caliper will probably come with it, but maybe you can talk him down without the caliper

If anything is stuck that bad, it's not worth screwing with

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic