Selling a new Police Interceptor ? What's the problem ?

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowCoreAskSellerQuestion&requested=tbirdcortese&iidE38254352&frm (4&redirect=0&SSPageName=PageAskSellerQuestion_VI
Isn't it just a car, that can be bought & registered by anybody, & sold by anybody who owns it?
Sheesh!
Rob

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowCoreAskSellerQuestion&requested=tbirdcortese&iidE38254352&frm (4&redirect=0&SSPageName=PageAskSellerQuestion_VI
He should have put a description up in the auction. When cop cars are used they take off the lights and stuff and sell them just like any other car. And apparently if the cops buy too many they are free to sell them also. He should have said so and saved himself from so many questions.
Some jurisdictions, cops buy or lease their own vehicle and the local jurisdiction equips it. Most places which have distinctive paint schemes (like CA with the black car, white doors) the car colors have to be changed so the vehicle won't be mistaken by other drivers. This can be as simple as repainting the doors, or doing a complete repaint. Something to do with laws prohibiting the impersonating a law enforcement agent for the purpose of committing a crime (kidnap, rape, robbery, embezzlement, etc).
Years ago, one of my subordinates bought a CHP vehicle at auction. It cost him more to get the engine tuned than the car cost him.... not to mention the suspension was beat all to heck by many hard miles. It did more sitting than running.
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 23:59:03 -0500, trainfan1

Hey! Spikey Likes IT! 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
There was a time when one could not buy an Interceptor unless the buyer was a government agency because it was sold with an emission exemption. Todays Interceptor meets all EPA emission standard. It far exceeds the NHTSA standards as well. Any dealer can sell you an Interceptor. You need to talk to the Fleet Sales Manager, not the Sales Manager. The dealer uses the generic fleet code to order a P71 vehicle, the same one they use to order their rental or loaner cars. You can even get the fleet discount of $400 if you buy five of them, but not for one. ;)
mike hunt
trainfan1 wrote:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowCoreAskSellerQuestion&requested=tbirdcortese&iidE38254352&frm (4&redirect=0&SSPageName=PageAskSellerQuestion_VI
Every dealer I have asked indicates that they may only sell CVPI's to authorized government agencies, police departments, etc. Even when I specifically inquired of the fleet sales manager, I've told the same thing. Is this a new policy that Ford hasn't really publicized well to their dealers?
Kent Kester
--
kkester
I know of one individual who runs his own security business (celebrity bodyguard) who drives an all black crown vic with what appears to be an interceptor package. I am not sure but I don't think he's affiliated with any government agencies. Then again, he has his own private jet so obtaining an interceptor was probably small potatoes.