Selling a new Police Interceptor ? What's the problem ?

Isn't it just a car, that can be bought & registered by anybody, & sold by anybody who owns it?

Sheesh!

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

He should have put a description up in the auction. When cop cars are used they take off the lights and stuff and sell them just like any other car. And apparently if the cops buy too many they are free to sell them also. He should have said so and saved himself from so many questions.

Reply to
Scott

Some jurisdictions, cops buy or lease their own vehicle and the local jurisdiction equips it. Most places which have distinctive paint schemes (like CA with the black car, white doors) the car colors have to be changed so the vehicle won't be mistaken by other drivers. This can be as simple as repainting the doors, or doing a complete repaint. Something to do with laws prohibiting the impersonating a law enforcement agent for the purpose of committing a crime (kidnap, rape, robbery, embezzlement, etc).

Years ago, >

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

There was a time when one could not buy an Interceptor unless the buyer was a government agency because it was sold with an emission exemption. Todays Interceptor meets all EPA emission standard. It far exceeds the NHTSA standards as well. Any dealer can sell you an Interceptor. You need to talk to the Fleet Sales Manager, not the Sales Manager. The dealer uses the generic fleet code to order a P71 vehicle, the same one they use to order their rental or loaner cars. You can even get the fleet discount of $400 if you buy five of them, but not for one. ;)

mike hunt

tra>

BenDover

Every dealer I have asked indicates that they may only sell CVPI's to authorized government agencies, police departments, etc. Even when I specifically inquired of the fleet sales manager, I've told the same thing. Is this a new policy that Ford hasn't really publicized well to their dealers?

Kent Kester

Reply to
kkester

I know of one individual who runs his own security business (celebrity bodyguard) who drives an all black crown vic with what appears to be an interceptor package. I am not sure but I don't think he's affiliated with any government agencies. Then again, he has his own private jet so obtaining an interceptor was probably small potatoes.

Reply to
sleepdog

You need to speak to a fleet Sales Manger that know his stuff. While it is true several years ago the interceptor could only be sold to government entities, because the vehicle had a pollution exemption, that is no longer the case. Any dealership can order a P71 Interceptor specked as they want it. The order requires a fleet identification number. Any dealer can use the generic fleet number that they use to buy their loaner cars or dealer rental cars. Expect to pay a bit more however. Once the dealership has the car in stock they can sell it to anybody. When the sale is report to Ford as a retail sale, rather than a fleet sale, the dealer is charged back for the $400 difference between the two types of sales.

mike hunt

kkester wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson