sensor on 97 sable transmission

it appears that the sensor for changing gears on my 1997 mercury sable is gone bad...(or so friends tell me) What I need to know is if the sensor is outside the transmission or inside ....I don't want to be
taken advantage of by a mechanic in my area...lol
Sammie wrote:

The MLPS is usually on the outside, near the middle of the the trans, and is connected to the gearshift selector linkage that comes from inside the car,