Service Engine Soon Light

My 2000 Ford Escort ZX2 has about 92,000 miles on it. I took it on a trip over the 4th of July and on the way home the Service Engine Soon light came on. I checked all of the fluids and they all seem to be okay so what
could be causing the Service Engine Soon light to come on and stay on?
c_cook2007 wrote:

It could be a number of things. Best bet is to get the drivetrain OBD-II codes read and proceed from there.
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 22:09:15 -0400, "c_cook2007"

Get the codes scanned
Hiya,
Thought that this light was brought on by a combination of running hours/miles driven/driving style and is just a reminder that the car is ready for a service, nothing wrong particularly. Light is reset by whoever services the car.
pottsy wrote:

SOME cars do this but it's a supremely unpopular feature (it basically means that if you missed your last oil change, the car will fail a state inspection). The Escort doesn't do it.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

More bad information.

aarcuda69062 wrote:

Oh? Elucidate, oh wise one.
CEL based on mileage since last reset, as a reminder to go get periodic maintenance is a feature that HAS been implemented, but not recently and not (AFAIK) in any Ford vehicle. I know Nissan did it for a while. Probably others did it.
Fool. Pity Google Groups doesn't seem to have killfiles, otherwise : *plonk*
In article
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Re-read the subject line.
A Service Engine Soon light has but one function, it has nothing to do with mileage, nothing to do with oil changes, missed or otherwise. Its sole purpose is to alert the vehicle operator that the on board emissions diagnostic system has detected a problem.

Well, since you mentioned "not recently" what possible relation could your blather have to a 2000 Ford Escort, especially since the definition of the lights function has been established since 1996?

Yeah, god forbid you should actually learn something or refrain from giving out bogus information.
Escorts fail state inspections on occasion, just like other vehicles. ;)
mike hunt

Your thought would be wrong. The function of the service engine soon light is fully explained in the vehicle owners manual.

Generally the case.
pottsy wrote:

what type of "service"
<snip> Light is reset by whoever

Oil, filters, plugs etc and a general check over the whole car as determined by the miles covered and age of the vehicle as shown in the manufacturers service schedule.