shift lever is disengaged in 1992 tbird 5.0

hello,

1992 ford tbird 5.0 with AOD transmission.

I pulled into the driving range parking lot and put it into park. I can only back out of the space.

When I started it to leave, the shift lever now does nothing -- its all free play. In order to tow it I have to get it into neutral. I know I can crawl under from the drivers side and see the linkage there. I'm expecting to see that its broken away from the trans shift lever.

I've fixed the passing gear problem by replacing the little bushing that holds the cable to the throttle. Is there another common failure point in the linkage cable connection to the trans shift lever?

Searching groups.google turned up only 1 or 2 posts about this. Perhaps it rarely happens.

Is there a way to pull or push the trans into neutral from underneath? I need to push the car about 50 feet so it can be towed.

tia, Mark

Reply to
Mark Pryor

If all you are going to do is push it, all that matters is that its not in Park.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

if its the same as my crown vic, theres only one small screw connecting the lever to a cable... i actually found the screw on the carpet, and started digging through the dash and figured out how it worked.

check that before you get it towed.

it happened to both my last two post 92 crown vics, by the way.

Reply to
Picasso

the tbirds shifter on the column or console?

wish i had a 5.0 tbird

Reply to
Picasso

hi,

the shifter is in the console on top of the trans hump. I was assuming that the shifter disconnected underneath near the trans, but perhaps it released closer to the shifter where it joins the cable?

Reply to
Mark Pryor

Picasso,

Mission accomplished.

I inspected the cable attachment at the shift lever and down under the car at the trans and everything looks clean. It seems the cable has snapped inside its considerably long sleeve.

While I was underneath I clicked it into neutral while my assistant adjusted the lever above.

We then were able to push the car freely and prep it for a tow.

I got a sick feeling that the whole shift-lever-cable assembly will have to be replaced. I see $300-$500 minimum.

Overall I've been very lucky with this car -- sheesh it failed at a happy place like a golf course, instead of while underway down a busy freeway. When I drive I go back and forth between OD and D without thinking about it. I get some natural braking action when I down-shift to D at about

45-50mph.
Reply to
Mark Pryor

Mark Pryor wrote: Glad you found the problem. The shift cable isn't a bad repair.

Don't do that!!! The OD is about the weakest link in that transmission. If you want braking action, use...umm...the brakes.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I was thinking the same thing. Parts/labor for brakes is -always- cheaper then for clutch/tranny work. I down-shift-brake-compression more-or-less of necessity on a mot'cycle, never in a car.

Did it look that bad down there? I'da thought it just needed a cable, maybe some lube/adjustment.

Prost, Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Just got the quote from the mechanic: $65 for tow (paid yesterday) $200 parts and labor for shift cable

The pro at the driving range had called in my plate to check for stolen and was thinking about a police impound all on sunday morning, after less than 48 hours parked.

Reply to
Mark Pryor