shimmy in steering wheels on 93 taurus

i got a 93 taurus and the shimmy in the steering wheel is getting worst.. at high speed and low speed(about 25-35 mph)... i figured it was the tire rods... so i take off the wheels and have the front end jacked up and move the hub while in the 12 and 6 O" clock position and no movement.. then do the 3 and 9 0"clock position and can get about 1/8 in. movement but the tire rod is not bad... its the rod going into the rack and pinion that is moving.... right back and forth from the rack... is there suppose to be movement here???? boy i hope its not the rack as its gonna be a pain to mess with..... any ideas????? thanks...

Reply to
dbird

dbird opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@sprynet.com:

That's the INNER tie rod and it's replaceable.. if you can get at it. Do you have a book?

But 1/8 aint a lot - you have bad tires, too, or it wouldnt be shimmying. At the LEAST they are out of balance but probably, because it's apparent at low speed, bad belt(s).

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic opined

Sorry... 1/8 shows need for non-urgent replacement... what I MEANT was it allows the shimmy caused by bad tires to be obvious. And it was those tires that aggravated the inner wear.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Swap your tires front to rear. If the noise and vibration changes you have found your answer. I had a similar problem a while back. Only to find a bubble in one of my front tires.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

thanks that is what i wanted to hear.. must be the cheap tires i have on the car the belts are probably bad... the tire itself looks just about new( about 1-3 yrs. old no wear yet.... probably out of balance also.. thanks...

Reply to
dbird

dbird opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@sprynet.com:

Well, If you have stands and do your own rotating, do what bob suggests... rotate front to back just to verify it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If you were a real cheapskate with no jack stands, by using the cars jack and the hide a spare you could eventually get the job done .... ;)

Saw a real sad site on the road the other day. A second gen taurus with a flat hide a spare on the side of the road. I wonder how long the driver thought it would last??

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

First thing is check all the lug nuts are tight. Next, The tires & or balance may be off ( lost weights). Change tires and get balanced. Next, check the alignment for trouble. Then if the problem is still there, start playing with rods & stuff.

Reply to
Tiger

In news:alt.autos.ford, Backyard Mechanic posted on Sun, 07 Nov 2004 14:27:57 GMT:

I just went through all that with m '98 Sable. Bad shimmy in the front and could wiggle the driver side wheel 1/4" at 3 and 9. At first I thought the warped rotors were causing the shimmy. After replacing the pads and rotors, the shimmy was still there. That's when I found the tie rod end problem. Fixed that and it still shimmied, but I expected it to. I just had the tire replaced this morning and the shimmy is 98% gone.

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

In news:alt.autos.ford, Bob Urz posted on Mon, 08 Nov

2004 08:54:46 -0600:

Heck, I wish they'd come up with a way to have a full-size spare, even if it has to mount under the car like they do in pickup trucks.

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

went and got new tire for the left front and the problem went away.. i had a bad band in tthe tire( bad belt??))>.. thanks

Reply to
dbird