shock absorbers

I have a weeping shock absorber and my mechanic wants a couple of hundred quid to fit 2 new ones. Apparantly shock absorber tests aren't included in the MOT. Is it worth my while having it fixed?

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Paul opined in news:bgh4nn$793$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

MOdern shocks display poor riding characteristics before they start weeping fluid.. because the gas that prevents foaming is long gone and ride will be harsher as the internal temperature goes up.

If you let it go until the fluid drops below a certain level, the handling will become dangerous at some point.

Shop around. But do have them replaced as a pair... unless the failing shock is less than 2 years and 20,000 miles of age.. then replace it with an identical unit only. Otherwise any quality pair.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic