Should fuel filter always be full?

I got a 79 pickup with a 400 engine. I noticed that the clear fuel filter fills with gas, then goes nearly dry and fills again (while engine is running). Is this normal? Shouldn't the filter be constantly filled? I also have a problem where the truck acts like it's going to die from a lack of gas, particularly under load and on hills. I am wondering if the fuel pump may be weak..... ???? The carb was rebuilt about a year ago, and is tight to the block with no vacuum leaks, since I just replaced all the vacuum hoses.

Whether I rev the engine, or it's at idle, that filter tends to fill and empty regularly.

Reply to
spamfree

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Your truck is showing signs of a weak fuel pump. Check it out quickly, because if the diaphragm is ruptured, your crankcase could be filling with gas.

Reply to
scroob

It does not go 'dry' it is filled with gasoline and its vapors. What you have is a fuel pump that 'pulls' fuel to the carburetor, 'gases' unlike liquids compress. When the pressure drops some of the gasoline turns to a vapor within the filter housing. Newer vehicles that 'push' fuel from the tank to the injectors and are therefore not subject to vapor lock of yore.

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2