Should I spend the $$ ?

1992 Taurus GL 3.0 93,000 miles Engine runs great, Trans shifts fine, Air converted to R34 last spring Body good-very good, Paint fair-good. Tires good
It does rattle a bit on these great New York City streets
Needs: All four struts Valve cover gaskets (has minor leak, drips on to exhaust system) Transmission fluid/filter change Belts Drain, flush, new coolant Oil Change (it gets one every 3 months) Upholstery shampoo The shop I use quoted $1200 for all and out the door in 9-10 hours
This car has been in the family since new. I am debating weather to do the repair or finally get that new car (2007 Camry 4cyl LE)
What do you think?
dbltap wrote:

You've posed an all or nothing question, probably because you have made up your mind to buy the Camry. I would not put $1200 into an $800 vehicle. Half or more of the $1200 you quote is for the struts. Shops around here charge $600 for the rears so take it from there. Struts don't have to be done in fours or even axle sets if you are a cheap ass trying to get the most out of a car. The keep or replace decision rests on how bad the struts are. Perhaps you could live by doing only the fronts. If the struts all are really that bad, then you have not been keeping up with the basic maintenance on the vehicle, despite changing oil. Consider less drastic options and don't pout money into this heap only to be confronted with a tranny gone bad or something. Make your used car EARN those repairs by taking care of only the most pressing items plus the oil changes. When that equals or exceeds the value, go shopping.

It is interesting that you say the struts do not have be replaced in four. The fronts are probably still good, and the rears are very bad, but I figured since they are all original I would do all four. I am leaning in the direction of keeping the car, but I can taste that 07 Camry. If I decide to do the repairs I will do the Trans Service first just to make sure that by opening it up nothing unusual is the result.
Al Bundy wrote:

================ ditto, what he said
and, it's gotta have roadsalt damage!
~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

I had a 93 Ranger with 165,000 miles. In good shape, I had it for 10 years. Kid totaled it, if I could fix it for $1200 I would not hesitate, I can't even find anything close to the condition it was in for less than 5-6k. I would see if the rear struts in the taurus really needed replaced. You may get another 3 years out of it for your investment.

Could you buy another car as good as the Taurus for what you could sell it for?
Didn't think so.
Fix it.
Keep it.
Enjoy not having a payment and not paying the instant depreciation cost of a new one.