Single piston engines

Page 1 of 5
Since yuppies tend to live real close to the area they work, wouldn't it make sense to offer a car that did what they needed?
They don't need something that can go over 60MPH and don't need a ton
of horsepower either.
Couldn't a 1 piston engine be made, no frills, and put in a car? Make the car out of a lot of plastic, keep a frame of metal of course and keep the airbag/seat belt safety the same.
Wouldn't this 1 cylinder, 2 speed, 40HP, no frills car be cheap as hell and meet the "needs" of the yuppie in those city jobs where they live like cheap in the city?
I'm talking about those, just out of school, kids who are broke.
What would a car like that cost?
"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message

While small cars can be safe, there is a limit to how small you can make them and have them still be safe. Cars have crumple zones. There has to be room to crumple.
A 1-cyl engine would run roughly. Like a 1-cyl lawn tractor. You would need at least 2 or 3 cyl. to make it run smoothly. You can still make a smooth, small engine with 2 or 3 cyl. You can also couple the engine to a generator and drive the car completely by electricity, with the motor just being a a source of electricity. There are several thousand vehicles that do this already in the US. I road in one pulled by one: a train locomotive, which uses a deisel power generator and motors to pull the cars. Of course, even smoother is a fuel cell. Too bad they don't have them yet.
Ford and Toyota both small hatchbacks for EUrope (the Ka and AYGO) . They both cost around $15k. There are also smaller cars being developed my DiamlerBenz (actually Diamler Chrysler until Chrysler is sold).
So because of safety, performance and comfort requirements, I don't think you care going to see any 1-cyl engine cars. If you want to go that small, buy a used lawn tractor or golf cart. ;-)
Jeff

OK, what about my idea of a 30-40 HP engine? It's not needed to do 80-100mph in the city [imo, anywhere] but wouldn't this help those people I described?
What's the MPG on a sub-compact sized car with 40HP city driving only?
No cross-coutry/highway driving.
I can't think of anyone that would buy one.... and this is the key to the equation. Enough units need to be sold to cover R&D, production and, of course, deliver that pesky profit margin that so many companies seem to desire...
These sell these http://www.thesmart.ca/index.cfm?IDG20 in Canada..... We have one locally - owned by our local "odd-ball"... Go to the city and it will be rare to see one. No market = no car...
Few owners will have the car that they "need".... Most will have the car they "want"....
Actually most buyer settle for the vehicle they can afford to buy and operate. The truth is buyers buy what they want and/or need. Ask any salesman what is the last question a buyer usually asked before he signs on the dotted line and he will tell you it is; "How much is my monthly payment?"
Look at the US sales figures in the real world. There are plenty of vehicles offered by domestics and imports that get great fuel mileage. Most of the midget cars are sold by import brands. What vehicles sell the best? NOT the imports, NOT the midget cars and NOT compact cars, from any manufacturer.
The three top selling vehicle in the US are not even cars, they are trucks. Obviously buyers in the US need or want trucks. Thee best selling car is not a midget or small car, it is the mid sized Camry. Even the best selling cars is out sold by the Ford F150, the best selling vehicle in the US for thirty years, at a rate around double that of the Camry. Although Toyota advertises they are the number one selling CAR brand in the US, GM actually sells more cars than Toyota, it is just that they do no have the same brand name on the grill. Like Toyota, Ford, Chrysler GMs best sellers after trucks are not their smallest cars but their midsize and larger cars.
Naturally buyers want the highest fuel mileage they can get in the size and type vehicle they choose to buy and they are willing to give up some power and performance to get it. Eight out of ten Camrys sold have only the 4cy engine. The Corolla 4cy actually performs better than the Camry, as well as getting better fuel mileage and sells for thousands less, but apparently Toyota buyers are choosing to buy the larger, safer, more expensive Camry they want and need.
mike

What's you point? Even if only two trucks out sold the Camry, how would that effect the jist of what was posted, that being that buyers do not choose to buy the midget or small cars that are currently available?
mike

I'm not going to follow you in one of your circles. The fact is as I pointed out, the best selling vehicles in the US are trucks, not cars and the best selling cars are not small cars. Americans still buy millions more domestics than imports. both cars and trucks. Toyota is millions of vehicles away from being number one in the US. You however are free to believe whatever you chose.
mike

You free to believe whatever you choose, I could not care less. What you choose to believe however will not change the fact that the best selling vehicles in the US are trucks, not cars and the best selling cars are not small cars. Americans still choose to buy millions more domestics than imports. both cars and trucks. Toyota is millions of vehicles away from being number one in the US here you believe it or not. ;)
mike .

It seems you seldom understand what is said the first time, because you are too busy picking through everybody's posts for something with which you can disagree, rather than digesting what was posted, thus requiring others to be repeat things for you LOL
mike

Semantics, you just like to comment on ever post and gotta have the last word. I bet you were an only child or at least the youngest LOL
mike

Where in Canada are you Jim? In Ontario, MB dealerships can't keep the smart in stock half the time. We have 4 of em on my street alone, and I see them literally every time I drive anywhere.
"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message

There's another vehicle available that has a 1 HP motor: the bicycle.

I don't know. What about the electric vehicles that are already available?

After the WWII one could buy a Crosley, that meets the criteria for a small fuel efficient, car but because of the low economies of scale ratio, the purchase price was to close to the price of a FULL size Ford.
If you want great fuel mileage there are dozens of different vehicles available on the market today that get great fuel mileage, that do not need to meet US safety standards. They are called motor scoters and cycles. One can convert one to tryke, or buy one purposely built as a tryke, and there are even all weather caps available for them.
The question is always who will buy them, except as a second vehicle. Who is willing to pay the relatively high cost of buying one and who is willing to ride in something that small to simply to save a relative few hundred dollars a year?
mike
wrote:

.
Mike Hunter wrote:

I think more Crosley engines were put in to boats than to cars...
Rob
Crosly never made the engine, they like K&F used Continental engines.
mike